PROLOGUE

Depth: Twenty-thousand, five hundred and eighteen feet below sea level.
Location: Bermuda Base.

An IV bag of creamy, viscous substance slides underneath the door and into the cell. She is too weak to crawl over and retrieve it.

She is curled in a corner of the cell, farthest from the door. Wearing only torn, thin clothes, she is freezing, shaking against her will. Yet, at the same time, she can feel sweat trickling down her back, edging on her hairline. She feels like she could throw up, even if she hasn't eaten in three days, maybe longer. She can't remember the last time she's seen sunlight.

Her cell hangs out from the base, extending almost like a balcony. All walls, except for the floor and one that holds the door, are made of glass. Nothing but pure darkness surrounds her, the only light coming from the lamps of the hallway that shine underneath the door. The occasional flicker of an Anglerfish's light emits from the open ocean, but only for a moment. After that, it's gone, just as quickly as it had appeared.

Sometimes, she wonders what it would be like if the glass were to break. The water pressure would crush her instantly, a painless death. And even if there was pain, it would never surpass what she had already experienced. A pain greater than any death could ever replicate. It made death seem like a gift.

Suddenly, a fierce knock on her door. "Есть," a gruff voice commands. Eat.

If she doesn't, she knows there will be punishment. She doesn't know how much more punishment she can take before she breaks down. She doesn't aim to find out.

She practically drags herself to the IV bag, sliding to the center of the cell and grasping it in her hand. In the darkness, she finds the capped-straw where the substance leaks from. Slowly, she unscrews it, and brings the straw to her lips. She sucks, and the liquid seeps to her mouth. It tastes medicinal and viscously sweet, as it always does.

She hears the footsteps outside her door fade, and she immediately drops the bag. She knows the cameras will see, but she doesn't care. She's felt sick for many weeks, and now she feels too sick to even eat.

She collapses onto the cell floor, and the cold sends chills through her. She doesn't understand how they expect her to be such an amazing weapon, yet they let her be sick and keep her in such horrible conditions. She has never understood it, and most likely never will. All she knows is that, when she has a mission, they put her in a chair and electracute her, and everything turns into a blank slate. When she comes to, they tell her her mission has been complete. She has no idea what she does on them, or how many people she kills. She knows nothing. 

Then, she hears footsteps outside her door again. She figures they are coming to get her, to punish her for not eating, but then she hears them run past her door, running very quickly. She recognizes an alarm going off, blaring a siren. Over the intercom, someone is screaming the words "Нарушение безопасности! Нарушение безопасности!"

Security breach. Security breach.

Before she can take in the seriousness of the situation, she succumbs to her weakness and falls unconscious.

———————