8 | the Jacksons

C L A I R E

I stare in wonder as Vaughn drives the car through a huge, silver gate and heads straight for a palace that I could have only hoped to see someday in my dreams. The garden we pass through seems like it spreads across miles and has a beautiful fountain in the middle, surrounded by statues.

I have never been to Vaughn's house before. His place was for Chris, not me. I had no reason to visit this place but I heard Chris talk about it, although he was really bad at describing things in detail.

The mansion is huge, with three stories of stunning architecture made of white marble. The glass windows are large with wooden crafting decorating them. I can't help but roam my eyes around every part of the building, not able to get enough.

Vaughn stops the car right in front of the entrance and I see servants rushing towards us. I stare at the tall and fit man who opens the door to my side. He is dressed in a black T-shirt, black cords, black shoes, and even has black sunglasses on. He has his hair shaved close to his head and has a handsome brown face.

"Ma'am?" he calls and I almost flinch at the sound of his voice. "You wish to come out?"

I shake my head. "No."

The man lifts his eyebrows as he glances at Vaughn who is standing on the porch. Vaughn sighs as he walks towards us.

"Leave us, David," he says, stopping near the man in black. "This one is expensive. Very personal."

"Very?" David looks between me and Vaughn.

"Mint condition."

The man leaves after giving Vaughn a nod, along with the other servants and Vaughn leans down with a hand on the top of the car and the other on my seat.

"You wish to come out by yourself or do I need to carry you again?"

"You can't make me do anything I don't want to do," I say. "Take me back to college right now!"

I see a tick in his jaw before he gives me the world's fakest smile. He grabs my bag, which I had been holding on my lap, and throws it on the backseat.

"You never listen, blondie," he grunts and I find myself being picked up from the seat.

"Put me down, Vaughn!"

I kick my legs in the air but he keeps his hold under my waist and knees firm. He walks towards the oak doors and they open automatically as soon as we reach. I see two more servants standing behind the doors when we enter.

I gasp as soon as my eyes fall on the interior of his house. Everything looks rich — from the velvet, red rug near the fireplace to the maroon sofa set in the center of the hall — everything gives the vibe of luxury even though there is no chandelier. The house is decorated in a modern way surrounded by Victorian-style furniture. It gives the place a royal look.

"What do you think about your future home, Claire?"

Vaughn's question brings my attention back to him and I realize that I am still in his arms.

"Put me down," I demand, my arms around his neck tightening when I look down and find myself dangling in the air at almost five feet.

"You swear you won't run?" He pouts his lips, adjusting me in his arms and I feel like a fragile doll that will break at any moment if his grip slips.

"What nonsense, Vaughn! Put me down."

"Promise first," he persists.

"Put her down, son," a familiar voice speaks from behind me. "That's no way to treat a lady."