48 | searching

V A U G H N

It feels like forever has passed when my eyes open. There is a blinding white light from the ceiling which makes me shut them again. I groan, turning onto one side and using my elbow to pull myself up. My shoulder hurts, my body feels weak, and my head is dizzy, black spots blocking my vision.

I start to vaguely remember Jake leaning over me, muttering something about fucking with my life. Pressing my temples with both hands, I shake my head, trying to get rid of the heavy weight inside in vain. I look around and see myself still in the confines of my workshop office and then my eyes fall on the clock on the wall above my desk. It is nearing 7 pm.

What the hell? Did no one check on me? It's been three hours.

I drag my footsteps as quickly as possible to the door and throw it open. Cho jumps from the chair at the sound and looks at me with a startled look on her face when I walk up to her. The office is almost empty, nearing closing time and Cho and two other workers are the only ones left.

"Boss..."

"Where's Jake?" I ask her, my voice coming out louder than I intended to and my secretary flinches, shapely eyes blinking hard as her ponytail sways side-to-side.

"Huh...Mr. Gallagher said you gave him a personal errand to run and told us not to disturb you since...you're in a meeting with a client," she informs, narrowing her eyes in confusion and picking up her IPad as she types something on it. "But boss...your schedule didn't have a meeting..."

She couldn't notice it three hours ago?

I brush her off as she begins to say something and make a dash for the elevator as it stops straight ahead on the floor. My few employees stare at me with bewildered glances as I rush past them, getting inside the elevator just as it is about to close. Pressing the button to take me to the ground floor, I take deep breaths to calm my nerves down.

The ride down is full of trepidation, anxiety, and fear twisting my guts. I keep pressing buttons on the pad as if that could make the elevator go down faster. It is a wonder it doesn't stop mid-way due to my activities. When the doors open, I step out, spotting my car instantly and Rick leaning against it with a newspaper in his hand. I run towards the car.

"Give me the keys," I say to Rick and he jumps back, startled at my sudden appearance.

"But, boss..."

"Just give me the Goddamn keys, Rick!" I shout and he quickly grabs the key from his pocket and puts it on my outstretched palm.

I murmur to him a 'sorry' for shouting as I get into the car and slam the door shut. Putting my seatbelt on, I place my hands on the steering wheel, the speed at which I want to drive already calculated in my head. With a pull on the gear, I head straight out of the parking space, hearing Rick shout behind me to slow down.

I can't slow down. Not tonight.

***

The Hill Manor is lit up like a happy kid's birthday party when I drive my car inside the gates, stopping at the front door. I see guards rush towards me and get rid of my seatbelt, climbing down it as the guards murmur amongst themselves, stopping in their tracks and not daring to stop me when they see it's me.

I walk to the large double doors and throw them open, stepping into the hall where I spot Michael Hill with his wife perched on his lap, laughing at something they are reading in Vogue. Being so intensely involved in their conversation, they don't notice me at first as I walk toward them.