31 | I'm here

C L A I R E

He looks familiar. A little too familiar.

My eyes focus on the mirror to study Jake Gallagher's face as he drives the car. Vaughn wanted to drop me off, but after hearing how much work he was loaded with, I asked him to send in a driver. He ended up sending his PA because he can't trust anyone else to drop me off safely.

Sweet? Yes.

Possessive? Hell ya!

Annoying? Even more yes.

As Jake maneuvers the car into a free parking slot on campus, I quickly grab my bag and am about to open the door when I see him undoing his seatbelt and getting down the car. He comes around and opens the door for me. I mouth him a 'thank you' as I get down and he shuts the door.

We stand there in silence. My legs are rooted to the spot, my eyes on him. He is tall with a good build but his face is completely shadowed by his thick brown bread. His hair is slicked back to a bun at the back of his head and his professional suit keeps him out of place among the students around us hanging about in their casual clothes.

"Mrs. Jackson? Are you alright?" He clears his throat, breaking my observation. His voice sounds like he has a cold. It is deep and empty as if being forced to stay down.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lend him a smile. "I just...I don't think we've formally met before. You're David's temporary replacement, right?"

"Yes, Mrs. Jackson."

"Hmm..." I extend a hand forward feeling somewhat out of place. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Claire."

He stares at my extended hand and I see his hand shiver as he lifts it to take mine, giving a firm squeeze. His grip is softer than my own.

I can't take my eyes off his face. I am constantly reminded of a familiar picture I can't put into place. I have never seen this man before and I can be sure of that by the color of his eyes. The blue in them is shinier than the blue in mine. They almost sparkle. I would have remembered seeing such eyes before.

My brother had such eyes.

"Have we met before?" I blurt out before I can think over it, my hand still firmly holding his. "You...look so familiar. Who are you?"

I try to sound casual but he fidgets at my question, quickly leaving my hand and rubbing two fingers on his forehead, his lips curving to an uncomfortable smile.

Not a ladies' man, I see.

"Huh...I don't think so, Mrs. Jackson." He awkwardly glances around us, avoiding looking straight at me for longer than a second. "I would have remembered a face like yours."

"A face like mine?" I clutch my shoulder bag closer as his blue irises fix themselves on me.

"Yeah, a face like yours is hard to forget," he muses. "So young and beautiful."

My cheeks warm up at his comment and I look down, no longer feeling inclined to continue the talk.

"Thanks for the compliment, Mr. Gallagher."

"Mention not," he murmurs as I walk past him to head towards the gates.

For someone who is Vaughn Jackson's PA, he sure does have a way with words and knows how to avoid unwanted conversations.

I look back again when I enter the gates, expecting to see him there but he is already gone.

***