16 | business matters

V A U G H N

Nothing. Nothing I did could help me control the vexation I felt toward Claire. After the fight we had, even looking at her face without being upset became hard for me.

So, unlike other newly married couples who let go of their grudges to spend quality time together on their 'honeymoon', I chose the option which made me the worst dickhead of the century.

I brought us back home.

Claire cried the whole way back on the jet. By the time we landed, her eyes were puffy with all the tears she had spilled. As I rethink the events in my head, I feel like a moron.

What was I even thinking? I could have forgiven her easily but why couldn't I?

Deep down, I knew the answer. I never expected to hear Claire call me a murderer. People around me have called me that numerous times over the last four years but hearing it from Claire's mouth broke something inside me. All the guilt, fear, and feeling of aloofness came rushing back. The only thing I could think of was — not her too.

As I sit on my desk in my office, with my shoulders slumped and my head bowed down, I can't help but feel guilty for making her cry. We haven't spoken for the last twelve hours and it makes me wonder what she is going through now.

The ring of my phone pulls me away from my thoughts and I look at the screen to see my sister calling.

"What's up, sweetheart?" I answer, receiving the call.

"WHY DID YOU MAKE CLAIRE CRY?"

I pull the phone away from my ear. Rose's voice is so loud, it could pierce my eardrum.

"I didn't make her cry," I reply flatly when I hear her breathing slow down. "We just fought."

I hear her grunt from the other end. "She has been crying all day... How could you do that, Vaughn? Mom's upset with you too."

"And what makes you think I give a damn about that?"

"I know you don't." I can see her rolling her eyes at me even though she is miles away. "Just wanted to let you know that just because you hurt Claire doesn't mean that she was at fault here."

"I hurt Claire?" I sneer as I look at the ceiling. "Did she tell you that?"

"No, she didn't. But she said that you made her cry..." She pauses. "That's the same thing."

"What happens between me and Claire is none of your concern, Rose."

I loosen my tie, letting in some much-needed air. I have been working all day and even though I should be home right now, I have no intention of facing Claire again. Knowing her, she will try to put all the blame upon me for our ruined honeymoon. I already had a hard time getting my head to work today because my thoughts were filled with Claire.

"I'm taking her shopping at SouthFront. It's near your office — a five-minute walk. Can we use your credit card?" Rose asks. "We plan to buy a lot of stuff to liven up her mood. Claire loves shopping."

"Tell them to send the bill to David," I say. "He'll take care of it."

"Okay, thanks," Rose squeals. "Hate you, bye!"

"By—" She cuts the call before I have the chance to complete the word.

I drop the phone and rub my forehead, an oncoming migraine showing its first signs when a knock at the door alerts me.

"All okay, boss?" David greets, peeking his head in from the door.

"Come in, David," I murmur, dropping my hand from my head and facing him.