23 | under the shower

C L A I R E

I hear the creak of the bathroom door opening and my heart skips a beat. The shower above my head is pouring hot but the sound of my heartbeat is the one that drums in my ears. There is the rustle of clothes and I inhale a breath, knowing that he is undressed when his footsteps head towards the shower cubicle, its structure the only barrier between us.

"Stop," I say and he halts.

"Changed your mind, nemesis?" His deep voice greets my ears. It sounds hotter inside the bathroom, echoing in the quietness.

"No," I answer. "Turn around first and then step in."

A disgruntled groan leaves him and I turn my neck slightly to find him following my orders. His sturdy back enters the shower as he steps inside. It takes all of my self-control to not move my eyes down his body when the water from the shower hits him, making a deep sigh of relief slip past his lips.

We stand under the shower in silence and I reach for the body wash kept on a little shelf. I put some liquid over my palm before handing the bottle to him. He takes it without looking back while I turn off the shower for the time being.

"Say something," he speaks suddenly. "I don't like the silence."

A smile plays on my lips as I spread the body wash over my body, relishing the feeling of its lavender smell. I always loved lavender. It is one of my favorite scents.

"How about we play a game?" I say, moving my fingers to the nape of my neck. "How about a game of Truth or Dare?"

"Okay."

"You go first." I move my soapy fingers down my body and close my eyes when they touch my wet sex. "Truth or dare, Jackson?"

"Truth."

"Who is Kendall?" I ask the first question that pops into my mind.

He laughs. "Still stuck on her? Should I assume you're jealous?"

"Assumptions are fatal, Jackson," I reply. "Be careful about them."

"She was one of my fuck buddies." The sound of a low moan from him travels to my ears and I have the sudden urge to see what he is up to.

Control, Claire.

"Was?"

"I told you I wouldn't sleep with another while we're married," he reminds me, his voice throaty and low. "Your turn, truth or dare?"

I finish scrubbing my body and reach for the shower knob to turn it on again. Water bursts on top of us as I close my eyes and wash my body of the slickness.

"Dare," I answer.

"Kiss me, Claire." My breath catches my throat when I hear him. "Kiss me like you want me."

Silence follows his words as I let them sink into my mind. We are under the shower together — naked and drenched — and all I can think about is giving in. I want to see what will happen if I surrender to our attraction.

Without hesitation, I turn around and find myself facing his back. He is broad and muscular. Every inch of him speaks of strength and power. I touch his back and he tilts his head up, closing his eyes and groaning as I trail my forefinger down his spinal cord, his skin burning hot under my touch but I am the one who gets goosebumps as I move further down. I stop at the end of it, seeking a peek at his strong thighs.

"Turn around," I say and he does.

Water drips from his dark hair, his eyelashes, and his square-cut jaw as he looks at me with those magnetic eyes, taking in every inch of my bare skin.