33 | where you are

V A U G H N

I'm at the

What the fuck comes after that? She sent me half a text, knowing that it will make me ridiculously worried about her.

The second I got it, my possessiveness took the best of me. I fucking called her and she didn't pick up. I called the driver myself who said that he was a little late to reach the college. I asked him which car did he take and he said he took Jake's because the latter had errands to run and was coming along with him.

No wonder Claire couldn't find her ride.

I haven't seen Jake after he dashed out to meet the Russo brothers to get their signatures on some important documents. He hasn't returned yet and the last time I checked, he said he was still with them.

I tap my fingers on my elbows as I lean with my arms crossed, waiting for Claire by the car with the idiot driver. The students are dispersing and it is nearing sundown. All come and go but there is no sign of Claire.

"You are not suited for this job anymore, Rick. You're fired," I say to the man of short height standing beside me.

He is dressed in his white driver's uniform and sweating nervously.

"Mr. Jackson, I do apologize. It was a genuine error on my part. Do forgive me." His agitated expression gives way to a squeaky voice. "I dropped Mr. Gallagher at the Russo brothers on my way here. He had ordered me last night itself and so...I thought it would be good to take his car since I was late. He allowed me to."

I turn to him, one of my hands reaching to his chest and grabbing a fistful of his shirt. I slam the guy against the car.

"My wife is missing after leaving me a half-typed text all because of your fault," I rage through clenched teeth, aware of the few pairs of eyes watching us cautiously. "If anything happens to her. I'll make sure to sue you, you fucking piece of shit."

He gasps heavily, his chest rising and falling as he looks at me with a horror-struck expression on his face.

"I...I'm sorry, Mr. Jackson. It was indeed...my...my fault," he stammers in a feeble voice, shivering in terror at my venomous look. "But...Mr. Gallagher..."

"Shut the fuck up, okay?" I pull away from him and run my hand through my hair, watching the entrance of the Institute and not seeing Claire yet.

I see a familiar face in the crowd of people, climbing down the stairs alone while she ties her hair in a bun when the sunlight hits her face. She is a pretty girl with dark hair, brown skin, and big eyes who I remember seeing before. I quickly run forward, entering the gates and climbing hurriedly up the stairs to stop in front of her.

She is startled at my sudden appearance and looks at me with blinking eyes.

"Oh my gosh! Vaughn Jackson?" she gasps, putting a hand over her chest.

"You were at my wedding, right?" I ask her, not caring that I have become the center of attention for most people around the campus now.

"Why...yes, of course." She blushes faintly, biting her lip. "I'm Nina Lewis, Claire's friend."

"You've any idea where she is?"

A thoughtful look crosses Nina's face. "No, I'm afraid, I haven't seen her today. We had only one class together and she wasn't there. Why? Is something wrong, Mr. Jackson?"

I grab her wrist, pulling her down the stairs with me. I can't keep talking with all these curious kids staring at us like that. It irritates me when I see their whispering mouths. I guide Nina to the car and make her stand beside the driver.