Sick Days

Harry's P.O.V. Charlie 7

"MUMMY! DADDY!" Charlie's screams wake Em and I at 4am. I jump out of bed and run to Charlie's room but she's not in her bed. That's when I see the light is on in her bathroom and when I enter, she's sitting on the floor in front of the toilet. As I get closer and her cries get louder, I see the vomit spilling off of the toilet seat.

"Oh, Bean," I rush to her side, "I'm so sorry." Em is right behind me and works on wiping down the bathroom while I tie back Charlie's hair and help her aim into the toilet.

"My, my t-tummy hurts," she cries, but the build-up of snot and tears just makes her heave more.

"I know, sweetie. I'm so sorry. Try to breathe slowly, okay?" Em bends down to talk softly into Charlie's ear and wipe her sweaty forehead. Charlie is sat in my lap right now and she feels like a little heater. I want to get her some Tylenol but at this rate I'm sure she'll just puke it up.

"Did you throw up anywhere else?" Em asks Charlie and she shakes her head no.

"That's good," I rub her back, "can you tell us what happened?"

"I woke up because I was hot, and then my tummy hurt. I- I was going to go potty but I threw up," she pants.

"Do you still need to potty?" I ask her.

"Mhm," she nods, and Em says she'll grab "the puke bucket" so Charlie can use that if she needs. When Em brings the bucket back, I help Charlie onto the toilet. After a few minutes of staying in the bathroom, we all decide that she's well enough to go back to bed.

"Are you too hot for the covers?" I ask as I lay her down onto the damp sheets.

"I'm cold now," she shivers and helps me pull the covers up to her chin. I unfold a blanket that was tucked away in a corner and lay it over top of her. While Em is in our bathroom measuring the children's Tylenol, I lay down next to Charlie and try to get comfortable.

"Mummy's going to bring you some medicine that will make you feel better," I whisper and take the pony out of her hair, tucking the strands of hair in the front behind her ears.

"Is it gonna taste bad?" she asks with concern.

"It won't taste like candy, but it will make your tummy feel better and you'll be able to fall asleep," I tell her.

"Okay," she whispers, and we stay silent until Em is back with the medicine. I know that when I have a stomachache, I don't like to talk in fear of throwing up, so I don't expect Charlie to want to do so either.

"You're such a big girl," Em tells Charlie once she swallows all of the medicine from the little cup. Charlie winces a little but hands the cup back to Em in return for a clean water bottle.

"Don't drink too fast, it might upset your tummy," I warn her and Charlie nods in acknowledgment.

"Will you stay with me, Mummy?" Charlie asks, probably knowing that I was already planning on staying with her since I've situated myself into her bed.

"There's not enough room for Mummy and we don't want her getting sick because she has to work tomorrow," I tell Charlie when I see Em hesitating to answer. I know Em wants to be there for Charlie too, but it's true that Em needs to be at work. It's difficult for her to call in sick when she has appointments with clients.

"Will you be okay with Daddy?" Em kneels at Charlie's side of the bed.

"Yeah," Charlie says.

"I'm sorry sweetie," Em kisses her forehead, "Get some sleep, I'll see you before I go to work. I love you."