First Concert Pt. 2

Emma's P.O.V. Charlie, 5

"Come on, Charlie. It's time to get in the car," Harry says as he carries her tiny dress shoes.

Charlie has to wear them for her first school music concert tonight, but they hurt her feet so she's wearing crocs with her dress in the meantime. These aren't the only fancy shoes that she has, but all of her other ones that fit are Gucci or another expensive brand that I won't let her wear for a school function.

"You look so beautiful, Charlie-bean," Harry tells our daughter as he picks her up to put her in the car faster.

"Thanks, Daddy. You look beautiful too, and Mummy looks very pretty," Charlie makes her dad blush and smile like crazy.

"Thank you, love."

Once everyone is safely buckled, we start the drive to Charlie's school. She has to be here half an hour before the performance starts, and like always we're making perfect time.

After we find a place to park, the three of us walk into the school hand in hand. Harry is beaming with excitement, but Charlie doesn't seem as happy.

"What's wrong Charlie?" I stop us and pull Charlie to the side of the hallway so we're not in the way of others.

"Nothing is wrong," she says quietly.

"You don't seem very happy. Aren't you excited for the concert?" I ask.

"Yeah...but I'm-I'm a little nervous too," she squeaks out.

"Oh, sweetie. You're going to do amazing! I just know that you and your classmates are going to put on the best show you can."

"What if we don't?" Charlie asks, her lip starting to quiver.

"Bean, look at me," Harry crouches down, "I get nervous before concerts too sometimes."

"Really?"

"I do. But all you have to worry about is having fun. Do you think you can do that?" he asks her.

"I think so," she responds.

"I think you can do it. Just sing your little heart out and I know you'll have fun," he tells her.

"Okay, Daddy."

"I love you," he says.

"To the moon and back," she says next.

"And even further than that," he finishes the line and gives her a big kiss on the cheek.

"Can I have a kiss?" he asks, and Charlie gives him one right back.

"Alright you two, it's time for you to meet with your class, Charlie. Buuut I want a kiss too."

"Come here Mummy!" Charlie says and pulls us both into a big hug full of kisses. Then, she's off to gather with her class to prepare with her favorite teacher, Miss H.

Harry and I find seats close to the front and save an extra for my mom.

***

"Harry, are you crying?" I whisper in his ear as we join the rest of the audience to applaud the kindergarteners.

"I'm just a little emotional, that's all," he continues looking straight ahead at the performers, but I catch a glimpse of his watery eyes.

It's a sweet moment until my eardrums are blown out by Harry's high pitched whistling. I feel bad for the parents around us too, but the support makes Charlie smile and wave at her dad, so it's worth it.

Once the kids exit the stage, Harry and I follow my mom's lead out into the hallway where Charlie's part of the alphabet is supposed to be picked up.

My mom and I don't even bother trying to spot her because Harry is so tall that he practically sees over everyone and finds our little girl with the curly hair and too-small of shoes immediately. 

"DADDY!" Charlie runs past everyone, right into Harry's arms.

"You were so good up there, Bean! I told you, you could do it!" Harry squeezes her and gives her a big, wet kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, Daddy," she giggles and her face gets red.

"Grandma, you came!" I watch as my mom congratulates Charlie as well, then it's my turn.

"Hi Mummy," her little arms hold onto me.

"You and your classmates sounded beautiful. Did you have fun up there?" I ask her and I feel her nod against my shoulder before she pulls away and I can see her face.

"I want to be like Daddy," she says, and I swear I have never seen her or Harry smile as hard as they both are right now.