Avery Noah

Emma's P.O.V. Charlie 12, Sophia 3

"He looks exactly like Harry," Anne whispers and opens her hands to hold Harry and I's newest baby.

"Hello," she coos, "You look just like your Daddy. Oh, I just love you so much Avery," Anne kisses his little chubby cheeks and holds him close to her heart.

"How are you feeling?" Anne takes a small pause from adoring Avery to look up at me.

"Tired, sore, mild pain," I sigh as Harry and Anne look to me with sympathy in their eyes.

Harry, who's sitting in a chair that he pulled right up next to my bed, places his hand on mine. "Those are all signs of good recovery," he assures me and then brings my hand to his lips for a kiss.

Harry's P.O.V.

Nothing could ever top my 39th birthday. It's January 31st, and my son was born via c-section this afternoon. Turns out he was ready to leave, but not in the correct position to do so, and it's dangerous to give birth when the baby isn't headfirst.

Em is feeling a bit more rested now, so I think it's time to bring Charlie and Sophia in to meet their baby brother.

Annie stayed with the girls last night so I text her to let her know they can come over now.

"I just texted Annie, she said they'll be here in twenty minutes," I tell Em and I have to laugh at the next text Annie sends me.

"Apparently the girls have been up and waiting since 6am," Em laughs too, making Avery stir. Em just finished nursing and now he's taking a little nap in her arms before he meets his sisters.

"Are you excited to meet Charlie and Soph?" I stroke the top of his soft head where he has some light hair growing. "You're going to love them."

Em makes room for me in her bed, well as much room as you can make for two people in a hospital bed, and we cuddle Avery until the girls are here with Annie.

I walk to the lobby to find the girls and am caught off guard when they both come running to me, Charlie obviously faster than her sister.

"Can we meet him!" Charlie wraps her arms around my torso as I bend over to pick up Soph.

"Yeah, let's go!" I wave for Annie to follow us.

"Hand sanitizer, remember?" I remind the girls as we approach the door. We all take turns with the sanitizing dispenser, and then I give a knock before opening the door.

"Mummy!" Soph spots her mum right away and reaches her short arms out towards her. We walk to Em and Avery, and my spot on the bed from before is still open so I let Soph sit there for now.

"Can I hold him?" Charlie asks timidly from where she stands near Em's side of the bed.

"Of course. Why don't you sit in this chair and I bring him to you," I tell her and she sits down in the armchair under the window.

Gently, I lay Avery's swaddled body in Charlie's arms and watch as she observes her little brother. She's doing that thing Em does, biting the corner of her mouth to contain her emotions, but I can already see the tears pooling.

There aren't any chairs left so I opt to squat next to her and softly rub her back. "It's amazing isn't it?"

"Mhm," she nods, eyes still locked on Avery.

"It's okay to be emotional," I whisper, "I've cried a lot today," she looks at me when I say this and I see the relief wash over her, her lip quivering in the process.

"I just really love him, and he's really cute, and super small," she rambles, causing my mum to tear up again at all the sweet things Charlie has to say.

Sophia gets a chance to hold him next, and eventually I take the girls out for dinner so Em and Avery can get some sleep. They'll get to come home tomorrow, making my birthday the first time we're all together at home as a family of five.