Advice

Harry's P.O.V. Charlie 17, Sophia 8, Avery 5

"Hey Dad," Charlie finds me in the living room where I'm being forced to watch Paw Patrol with Avery. Sophia liked this show too, but not as near as much as Avery does. I didn't have an issue watching it with her, but now that the kid's show is playing on our family room tv 24/7, I can't stand it.

"Hm?" I look up from my phone. I'm not really paying attention, but Avery who's tucked under my arm, laying on my stomach with his thumb in his mouth, doesn't have to know that.

"Can I talk to you in my room?" she asks.

"Yeah. Avery, buddy, Charlie needs me, but you can stay here and watch Paw Patrol," I lift him off of me and set him back down on the couch. He doesn't like that, so he takes his thumb out of his mouth to whine.

"But-but Daddy, I want you to stay with me!" I wince at his high-pitch tone.

"I'll come right back, Avery," I tell him gently but know that the tears are coming soon. Ever since I got back home, Avery has been right by my side. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I love more than time with my kids, but sometimes I'd like to pee in silence or have a conversation with my oldest without a little boy grasping onto me.

Seriously, the kid won't even let me alone to use the bathroom by myself without throwing a fit.

"Avery, please," he pouts, and I swear he makes his eyes water on command.

"I need to talk to Dad, you'll have more fun watching Paw Patrol," she tells me.

"No, I won't! I won't have any fun without Daddy," his lip quivers and I so badly don't want to give in, but I don't think the fight is worth it right now.

"Can he come with?" I ask Charlie, not knowing if this conversation will be appropriate for a five-year-old.

"Yeah, you can. But only if I get to carry you. Dad hogs you all day," Charlie talks to Avery and picks him up to carry upstairs.

When we get to Charlie's room, Avery goes right to the floor and begins playing with some of his toys, totally forgetting about his mini fit from two seconds ago.

"How did you ask Mum out when you met her?" Charlie bluntly asks while I'm taking a seat on her bed, completely unprepared.

"You've heard the story of how we met," I point out, not understanding the reason for her question.

"Yeah, but you didn't even know her. How did you know it was okay to ask her out? Did you know she'd say yes? Were you nervous she would reject you? How did you figure out what to say? How did you do it and not come across as creepy or awkward or-"

"Slooow down, Charlie. Are you thinking of asking a girl—or a guy or anyone—on a date?"

"Oh geez, I didn't mean to make it so obvious," she rolls her eyes that are laced with sarcasm. "And no guys. I don't like guys. One-hundred-ten-percent lesbian."

"Okay," I chuckle, "glad that's clear. What's she like?"

"Ugh, why does it matter? I don't even know if I will, but if I do, what should I say?" she throws herself back, landing on her pillow as she covers her face with her arms out of frustration.

"I want to help but I'm completely in the dark here. I didn't even know you had a crush; how am I suppose-"

"I don't have a crush," she says firmly.

"If you want to ask someone out doesn't that mean you have a crush?" I ask, very confused.

"I just don't! This conversation is pointless, never mind," she says, never once lifting her arms so I can see her face.

"Charlie, I'm glad you asked me, and I want to help," I tell her.

"Seriously, Dad," she sits up, "It's fine."

"Are you sure?" I ask, not convinced at all that she's okay with just dropping this.

"Yes. Now leave before Avery notices so he'll actually spend some time with me for once."

Tempted by Charlie's offer, I stand to leave but as soon as I touch the doorknob, a little boy cries out.

"No Daddy!" he's turned around, still sitting on the floor with a toy in his hand.

"Don't you want to play with your sister?" I ask.

"No, you PROMISED we would watch Paw Patrol after!" he twists my words.

"Avery, I said-" "Avery, can I play with you?"

"No." he says shortly and stands up to follow me out of Charlie's room.

"That wasn't very nice of you, Avery," I kneel to be at his level, "Charlie wanted to play with you."

"I don't want to play with her, Daddy. I want to play with you," he says.

"I love you, buddy. I love you so, so much. But Charlie loves you too, and she deserves to play with you just as much as I do."

"I played with her already," Avery starts to get frustrated.

"When?" I ask.

"When you were gone! But, but now you're here! So, it's your turn!"

"Buddy," I sigh, "I've been home for two weeks."

"But what if you leave again?"

"Oh, Avery. I'm not leaving again for a while," I pull him into me, and he wraps his small arms around my neck. "I'm staying home with you and Soph and Charlie and Mummy."

"Okay," he says after a bit and I squeeze him tight a few times before letting him go.

"Will you play with Charlie now?" I ask.

"Yeah,"he nods, "but what's a lesbian?"