See You Soon

Harry's P.O.V. Charlie, 4

"I love you so much, Charlie," I hold my girl tight to my chest, never wanting to let go of her.

"I love you too, Daddy. Don't want you to go," she whimpers.

Dammit, I thought we could do this without tears. I hate to see Charlie cry because of me.

"I don't want to leave either, but this is my job. You'll visit me in less than three weeks though, okay?"

"I gonna miss you, Daddy," her voice shakes as the tears start to pour.

"I'm gonna miss you too, Bean," I try to hold my tears back for her sake, but it's impossible. "It's gonna be okay. I will FaceTime you as much as I can."

"Okay," she says through her cries.

My vision is blurred, but I can make out Em's figure standing a way behind Charlie.

"Can I give Mummy a hug too? I'll come back; I promise. I just want to say bye to her first."

"Okay," Charlie sniffles and I set gently set her back on the ground.

"Call me when you get to the airport, and when you land," Em says quietly as we hug.

"I will," I kiss her. "I love you. I'm sorry I have to leave."

"Don't be sorry. Like you said, it's your job. And I know you'll have fun, so don't feel guilty about enjoying tour," she says as if she's reading my mind.

"But I love you too, Harry," she kisses me again and I squeeze her tighter for a moment before letting go to say bye to Charlie.

She looks so hopeless standing there clutching her stuffed frog, Jenny, with tears streaming down her face, watching her parents say goodbye. It makes me feel terrible, like I'm making a mistake, but everyone assures me that I'm not.

"Here, Daddy," her voice shakes as she holds out her stuffed animal, "You have Jenny."

"I can't take Jenny from you, Bean," I squat down to talk to her.

"Yes, you can," she doesn't give up, "He keep you safe and-and remember me."

I am full on crying right now. My daughter is the sweetest, most selfless, and loving child in the world, and I'm leaving her to tour the world for months. Of course, there are breaks, and I promised Em that I wouldn't be away from her or Charlie for more than four weeks at a time. Thankfully the way tour is scheduled, I should have time to see my family more often than that.

"Charlie-"

"Pwease, take him," she presses again, and I don't know what to do. I look up at Em and she nods, silently telling me that Charlie won't regret giving me her favorite stuffed animal.

"Okay, I'll take Jenny. I promise I will keep him safe and when we come home, he'll tell you all about his adventures."

"And he- he watch you sing?"

"Yes, he will watch me sing."

Em discretely shows me the time on her phone, and I take a deep breath as I put Jenny into my carryon.

"It's time for me to go, Charlie."

"Bean," she corrects me, and it makes me smile—genuinely smile.

"It's time for me to go, Bean. I need another hug and kiss," I open my arms and she falls into me.

"I love you, Bean. I'll see you soon."

Charlie says something on the lines of, "I love you, Daddy," but it's so hard to understand her through all her blubbering. It's ironic how much the lyric, My heart's already broken, baby, go on, twist the knife, describes the situation right now.

"You're going to be okay. We're going to be okay," I assure her.

"Charlie," Em interrupts, "Daddy really has to go now. Give him another kiss and then we'll watch Belle."

"No!" she buries her face further into my neck.

I continue to try and sooth her, whispering how much I love her, that everything will be okay, and I'll see her soon. I kiss her head a few times too, but now I'm actually running late.

"Can I have a kiss, please?" I ask, and she gives me a slobbery kiss on the cheek.

"I'll see you soon, I love you," I kiss her forehead one more time as Em pries Charlie off me to carry her upstairs.

Charlie doesn't put up a fight anymore, she just continues to wave goodbye until she's out of my sight, probably in her room to watch Beauty and the Beast with Em until she falls asleep for a nap.

I know that if I stand inside this house for one more second, I'll change my mind and call the entire thing off, but I owe this tour to my fans. Without looking back, I leave the house and climb into the car where Jeff has been waiting for me.

"She'll be alright," Jeff says once we drive away.

"I know, it's just hard."

*

*

*

A/N: tell me why I sobbed writing this

Also, I realize this is terribly dramatic, but idc.