Nightmare

Harry's P.O.V. Charlie, 3

"Harry! Where are you!" Em shrieks as she holds on tightly to our daughter. Covered in blood, they hide in the corner of a dark room, shivering and crying.

"I'm right here, baby!" I yell back, but they don't hear me. I'm not even sure if they can see me. I frantically wave my arms to get their attention because I can't move. My feet are cemented in the ground.

"Harry! Harry, please come back!" Em yells again, but her voice breaks and a sob spills out.

"Where Daddy? Daddy, need you! Mummy hurt," Charlie frowns with a quivering lip. Her head turns, searching for me in the darkness, but she never finds me.

"It's gonna be alright, Bean. I'm here. I'm coming, I promise!" I grab a hold of my legs to pry my feet from the floor, and it works, but in doing so I break the floor and the walls around us come crumbling down.

"NO!" I scream until everything goes black and I feel hands gripping my shoulders, shaking them violently.

"Harry, baby wake up," Em whispers close to my ear.

"What?" My wet eyes open and I quickly sit up in bed, taking in the scenery. I'm in our bedroom, Em is beside me, and Charlie is asleep in her room. It was a dream. Again.

"It was just a dream," Em sits up with me and runs her hands through my sweaty hair. I rub my eyes and wipe the tears away, embarrassed that Em has to see me like this.

"Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?" She whispers and pulls my head to her chest, kissing my temple a few times.

"You were hurt. Charlie was too. I tried to help but you couldn't see or hear me. When I tried to run to you, I made the room crumble, and then- and then you guys-"

"Shh, it's okay. I understand," Em continues massaging my scalp and I close my eyes again, but this time when they're closed, I wrap my arms around Em's torso, squeezing her as close as I can so we become one. I never want to let go, I'll never let her go.

"I'm so sorry. I bet that was really scary, but Charlie and I are safe now," she whispers.

"It was so real this time, and you were actually gone. Other times it ends before the walls crumble," I word vomit.

"Other times? Baby, how many times have you had this dream?" Em gently moves my head away from where her heart is so she can see my eyes. I don't look at hers though, I just stare blindly in front of me.

"All week," I mumble.

"All week? Baby," Em sighs and pulls me close to her again to hold me. "Are you feeling guilty about leaving this weekend?"

I hesitate but slowly nod before nuzzling my face into her chest again. I hate that I have to be gone from them. I've avoided being away for more than two nights, but now I have to spend a week in New York at Columbia Records to discuss my new album.

I asked if it could be done over the phone, but they want me there in person for some reason. I didn't argue further because it's been five years since I've released an album, and I know they're getting antsy for me to come up with a single. I have been recording a lot, and I'm just about done with the album, but I feel like there's a song missing.

"Harry, we'll be okay. We'll miss you but we'll get through the week just fine. Please don't worry about Charlie or I."

"I can't just not worry, Em," I whine pathetically.

"What can I say to help?"

"Come with me?" I plead.

"You know I have work to do, and I'd let Charlie go with you if you weren't going to be so busy," Em tells me. It is something we talked about, but then Rob said they wanted to meet with me at least three times throughout the week. Apparently, he wants me to meet a few different people, I don't know. To be honest, I wasn't really paying much attention to him at the time.

"What if something happens? I'll be all the way across the country, I won't be able to save you."

"Why would we need saving, Harry?"

"I don't know. What if a burglar comes and tries to kidnap you guys?"

"Baby, I think it's time for you to go back to sleep," Em says, and she lays me back down so that she's beneath me and can lull me to sleep.