Chap. 49

It was Eid at the Abdullah's household today as the air smelled of festivity. A cacophony of voices; vibrant laughter, pitchy shrieks, snory snorts and loud cackles echoed in the kitchen where the family huddled together making the morning breakfast.

The steel bowl clinked and clanked as Hafsa's hand moved fast beating a mixture of a dozen eggs.

Yes a dozen.... But it still seemed less to her. If you asked her she'd be feeeing the Faizan's her whole monthly ration in one day... If only that was possible.

"Hafsa khala aap itnaa kuch bana rhi hain... Hum toh choco cornflakes bhi khaa lete." Zainab joked as she leaned over Hafsa's shoulder to see what she was cooking.

"Arey chanda! Kyun khaa lete cornflakes?!  Main aysaa yummy saa breakfast karaoun gi aap log ko!! Bss ten minutes ruko."

She said and turned to look at Zainab but something behind her caught Hafsa's eye.

"Manihaa!!!! Nhi bilkul nhi!!"
She yelled and everyone froze.

Maniha remained unfazed and continued to cut the vegetables for the omelette.

"Arey Hafsa kuch kaam karne do kiyaa hogya. Jab se ayi hun haanth pe haanth rakh ke bethi hun!" She said continuing.

"Manihaaaa...." Hafsa whined like a child and placing the egg bowl on the counter went to take away her knife.

"Maniha choro naa tum!! Main kar lun gi!!"

If it was something else Hafsa would have yanked it out of Maniha's hand.... But because it was a knife it couldn't be handled with such carelessness.

"Chalo zyada nhi karo! Mujhe bhi help karni hai! Tum apna dusra kaam karo!"

Pouting Hafsa went back to beating her eggs and Maniha chopped the vegetables with a smug smile.

Hania, Zainab and Vania laughed at the two woman fighting and they knew now this would be witnessed everyday. When at Hafsa's house Maniha would not be allowed to do any work and then when they would go to Maniha's house, she would take her revenge by not letting Hafsa do any work. Such was their friendship.

Zainab stole a strawberry from the plate and putting it in her mouth stood at the side watching her elder sisters.

Vania looked at her Khala's face and smiled softly. After such a long time she could see her true personality pop out. See a genuine smile on her kind face, not the type that she smiled for the sake of the children but the smile that comes to your face when your soul is happy.

"Vanu sugar test!" Hania screamed to get her attention.

Sighing Vania did a sugar test for Hania's Strawberry milkshake for the sixth time... But who's counting?

"Okay ho gaya hai!" She gave her a thumbs up and Hania grinned.

"Yaay! Chalo jug pass karo iss ko nikalte hain."

Haider swung on the bar stool by the open counter and Zeeshan sat beside him. Engrossed in a guy to guy convo where in they were disscussing all the new groups that were made in the neighborhood after Zeeshan left, Who got a new car, who got a new job, and who moved away.

It was going to be Haider's first day at work today, and he was ecstatic about that too.

The freshly ironed baby blue shirt and dark blue dress pants, paired with a shiny pair of balck cut shoes and his neatly shaved face, showed how extremely concious he was of his first impression.

He raked a hand settling his gelled hair and checked his watch.

"Maaamaaa! Yaar mujhe toh nashtaa de den naa..." He whined and Hania looked up at him.