Chapter Seven

Genevieve

Right after the rejection

"Eve?" Shaw's concerned voice filled my ears. I couldn't hold it together. I let out a sob, and Shawn wrapped his arms around me. "Shh... what's wrong, Eve?" Shawn whispered in my ear. I shook my head, signaling that I didn't wanna talk about it. "Wanna go outside?" He asked softly.

I nodded and smiled. Being outside always made me feel better. I followed Shawn out the back door, and we walked through the forest. I silently cried while Shawn walked beside me. We were walking for almost an hour, when a sharp pain hit my chest. I fell to the ground and my breathing became ragged.

Shawn knelt down next to me, but I couldn't hear anything. I saw his lips moving, but I couldn't hear his voice.

The pain hurt worse than Asher rejecting me. I shut my eyes, hoping that it would stop. But instead, I had a vision. It was like looking through another person's eyes. There was a redhead. I never seen her before. And they-

I opened my eyes, and another wave of pain hit me. Asher. This wave was quicker, but more painful. I took deep breaths and steadied my breathing.

"Can you hear me?" Shawn asked. I nodded and continued to slow my beating heart.

"What the hell was that?" I asked Shawn.

He frowned. "I've only seen it once...." he trailed off.

"When?" I pushed the subject.

"Do you remember Tori?" He asked. Tori was the pack slut of the Royal pack. She wasn't really bad- but she got around a lot. Her mate rejected her, then she moved. No one has seen or heard from her since. I nodded. "I saw the same thing happen to her. After her mate rejected her, he slept with another girl, and that's what happened," he explained.

I sat down against a tree. "You found your mate," Shawn stated. I nodded even though it wasn't a question. "And he..." Shawn trailed off.

I nodded. "He rejected me," I choked out as tears began to blur my vision.

"I'm so sorry Eve," Shawn said as he hugged me tightly. I clung to him like my life depended on it. Which it probably does.

"What if I die?" I asked after a while. "Wolves can't live without their mates."

"You won't die" Shawn reassured me. "You're strong enough to get back from this. That guy is an ass. He didn't deserve you to begin with."

I smiled at Shawn. "Thanks." He gave me small smile, and we headed back to the pack house. We split up and went into our own guest rooms.

I laid in my bed and thought about today. Meeting Asher. The pain. Everything. I decided that I wouldn't let him affect me. I don't need him. I don't want him if he's really what I saw today. This was just a waste of the Moon Goddess's time.

*****

I woke up at six. I got dressed and went downstairs. Brian was sitting at the table with Shawn. "Morning," I greeted them.

"How'd you sleep?" Shawn asked. I shrugged. "Orange Fanta and Hot Cheetos?" He asked. I nodded my head and he left to go to the store.

"You hungry?" Brian asked while getting out two bowls.

I smiled at him. "Are you gonna make me breakfast?" I questioned.

Brian nodded. "Of course. You're my guest." I laughed at sat at the table. A few minutes later, Brian put a bowl of cereal in front of me. "I would cook, but I think you wanna live."

I laughed and thanked him. We ate our cereal in silence when Ryan walked in. "Morning Sunshine," I teased.

Ryan glared at me and poured himself a cup of coffee. "We're leaving at noon," Ryan informed me. I nodded. The sooner we leave, the sooner I get away from Asher. "Is the Alpha in?" Ryan asked Brian.

"I'll go get him," Brian said as he disappeared from the room. I continued to eat, even after Brian returned. I heard footsteps, and the scent of citrus and grass filled my nose. Asher.

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting," Asher said. I focused on my cereal. "Let's get started shall we?" I could feel his gaze on me, but I never looked up. Brian said something, and Ryan started to talk about the Council.

But Asher stopped Ryan mid-sentence. "I'm sorry," he apologized to Ryan. "This is a meeting. You have no business here," Asher hissed at me, making my head snap up to him.

Asshole! Brian gaped at his Alpha, while Ryan let out a vicious growl. "That is my niece you are talking to," he said in a low voice. His eyes started to turn a darker shade. "She can be here." 

Asher introduced himself to me, but I ignored him. They continued with the meeting, and I toned them out. Ryan and Brian both got up and walked away. Leaving me with my ex-mate. "Genevieve" Asher started. Oh, now he wants to speak. Is he serious right now?! He most definitely didn't want to talk last night. He took one look at me and didn't even ask my name before rejecting me. "I apolo-"

Oh hell no! "Don't give me that crap!" I shouted. "You just want me, so you can keep your precious title" I snapped.

"That's not true!" he lied. I waited for him to explain.

He didn't even try to come up with an excuse. "Unbelievable" I mumbled.

"Babe! I'm back!" Shawn shouted from the front door. Perfect timing. I glared at Asher. "Babe? Eve?" Shawn asked concerned as he set the back of chips and soda on the table. He looked back and forth from Asher and I.

I moved my gaze away from my ex-mate and softly smiled at my best friend. "Hi Shawn," I said.

'It's him isn't it?' Shawn asked through the mind-link. His hands were wrapped tightly in fists and his jaw was clenched.

'He's the Alpha, so don't do anything stupid' I warned him. 

Shawn growled and pointed at Asher. "Him?" he asked. I reluctantly nodded my head in confirmation. Shawn marched up to the Alpha and punched him straight in the face.