Chapter Twenty-Seven

Asher

Brian's voice in my head woke me up from a peaceful sleep with my mate safe in my arms. Eve was still sleeping on my naked chest. I slowly got off the bed and tucked her in.

I walked out her room and mind-linked Brian. 'What is it?' I asked. 

It had to be an emergency or something because Brian has never mind-linked me since I've left him in charge of the pack. Whenever I checked in, it was mostly just everything running smoothly and no drama.

'We caught a few rogues,' Brian informed me.

'Do the usual procedures, then tell me what they say.' 

'That's the problem,' Brian said sounding irritated. 'The guy won't talk. And the chick keeps repeating the same sentence.'

'Well what does she say?' I inquired.

'Where's the Alpha's Princess?'

I cut off our mind-link and walked to the living room. Shawn was there with a sleeping Matthew. I motioned for Shawn to come over to me. "What's up?" he asked.

"I gotta take care of some stuff. Watch over Eve for me," I said.

Shawn nodded, but stopped me when I tried walking past him. "You need a shirt," he stated.

"Why? I'm gonna shift anyway."

"There's kids in there." He nodded towards the living room. I peeked in, and Jordyn was there with Elise and other kids.

"My stuff is in there," Shawn said while pointing to the door next to me. "Just take a shirt and go. But don't shift with it on. I want it back."

I rolled my eyes and went to grab a shirt. I settled for a plain white one that was on his bed. I walked past Jordyn and the kids, then out the castle. I took off Shawn's shirt before shifting and holding it in my mouth.

*****

Half an hour later, I shifted back into human form and slid back on the shirt. Brian was waiting for me on the porch. He had two files in his hands along with a pair of shorts. He handed me the shorts, then the files.

"The guy didn't give us any information, but I still wrote up the report. The girl answered a few questions, then kept repeating the sentence" Brian said quickly.

I opened up the file and read it aloud. "Britney Walters. Age: 18. Rogue for 2 years. Ran away from her pack. Hasn't found a mate."

"Why was she on our land?" I asked Brian.

He shrugged. "That's when she started talking about Eve."

I nodded and we walked down to the cells together. The two rogues were the only ones in here. The guy had short raven black hair, he was knocked out, and he was well-built; but all werewolves are well-built. The girl had brown hair with lighter highlights that went down to her shoulders. Her eyes were brown, and they were staring right at me.

"Are you Britney?" I asked.

The girl just stared at me and sniffed the air. She kept sniffing and looking around the room. "Where is he?!" she shouted.

"Who? Where is who?" I questioned.

"Where's my mate?!"

I thought she said that she hasn't found her mate. "I don't know who your mate is," I said calmly.

"You're lying!" she yelled as she came as close to the bars as she could without touching them.

"Who is your mate?" Brian asked.