Chapter Seventeen

Genevieve

"I give up!" I exclaimed while plopping down on my parent's bed. We've been looking for over an hour. For a necklace and I don't even know what it looks like! I felt the mattress dip, and my mate's scent surrounded me.

"Come on." Asher gently tugged on my arm. I groaned and buried my head into the pillow. "Fine. You stay here, I'll finish looking," he decided.

I nodded in agreement and sat against the headboard. Asher got up and started looking through some drawers. I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my head on top. I need to find this necklace. I found my mate, and my mom is supposed to give it to me. I wish she was here to give it to me. It's the last gift that she got me. The last gift I will ever get from her.

"Eve?" Asher said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?" I mumbled sleepily.

Asher chuckled. "I think I found it." I quickly looked up, and my neck cracked. I groaned and Asher laughed at me. I pouted. "Here." He handed me a long black box and began rubbing my neck.

I leaned into his touch and fiddled with the box. "Did you open it?" I asked my mate.

"Nope. It's yours," he answered immediately. I honestly thought he would snoop and look at it before giving it to me.

I nodded and slowly opened the box. It was beautiful. The locket was around a silver chain, but it wasn't actually silver. The locket itself was also a silver color. It was round with flowery designs circling around a moon. I carefully lifted it up by the chain. It twirled around to reveal the back of the locket.

"A wolf's heart," I read aloud and started tearing up. I had a flash of my parents bodies and it caused me to let out a blood curling scream.

Blood everywhere. My father's head was nowhere near his body. His arm was ripped off. My mother didn't have either arms. And their hearts. There were holes in the middle of their chests. The hearts were thrown carelessly on the floor.

They didn't deserve to die like that. They didn't deserve to die at all. They were great rulers, amazing parents, amazing people! Why would someone kill them?

"Eve!" Asher screamed. I blinked back the image and noticed that my mate was standing in front of me.

"A-Asher. There was b-blood" I stuttered. "T-their h-hearts were-" I cut myself off with a loud sob.

"Shh," Asher cooed softly in my ear. He wrapped his arms around me and his warmth enveloped me like a blanket. "Please stop crying," I felt wetness on my back.

I pulled away and looked at my mate. His eyes were red and there was a single tear steak going down his cheek. "I-I'm sorry," I choked out. He pulled me back into his gentle embrace.

"Why are you sorry?" he whispered after I calmed down.

"I'm a mess," I started. "My parents just died. I went into a coma. I have to be Queen of all werewolves. I have to take care of my younger brother."

"So?" Asher asked completely confused.

I sighed and pulled away from my mate. I took a few minutes to calm myself before explaining. "It's a lot of baggage. Having a mate like me, its a lot of stress. A lot of patience. A lot of responsibility. I can't do that to you," I told him honestly. "You already have a pack to take care of. You don't need me and my problems," I said sadly and looked at my fiddling hands.

Asher gently lifted up my chin and looked into my eyes. "I don't care. You are my mate. I would do anything for you because that's what mates do. I fucked up, but I swear I'm here to stay now. I knew what I was getting into. I want this. I want you. I need you," he pressed a soft lingering kiss on my forehead. "Any problems that you have are mine too."

That doesn't seem fair. He doesn't need more on his plate. He's an Alpha, that's enough problems. Then he has to add being the future king. He doesn't exactly need my problems added on top of that. Even if he did put me through a lot, I don't like the thought of him feeling obligated to do whatever I want because of the rejection.

"But-"

"No 'buts'. I'm not going anywhere," Asher cut me off.

I wrapped my arms around his waist and buried my head in his chest. "Promise?" I asked softly. It might sound childish, but I just needed the assurance.

"I promise."