Chapter Thirty-Nine

Asher

Eve plopped face-down on my bed. I sat at the edge of the bed and gently rubbed circles on her back. "Eve. Talk to me," I begged.

After Dr. Nale told her about his theory, Eve claimed that she was tired. I can tell that this is stressing her out. We were supposed to have fun on this trip, but now we're dealing with a witch casting a spell on our child that doesn't exist. Yet. "I hate witches," she mumbled into the pillow. "Why can't people just leave me alone?"

I gently pulled her off the pillow to reveal her red-eyes and tear stained face. "I'm sorry, Eve. I really am. I wish none of this was happening," I said softly. I brushed her hair off of her sticky face and held her to my chest.

"We can't have a kid," she whispered.

I sighed and kissed the top of her head. "We can have kids, just not right now. We'll undo the spell, I promise. I'll find a way to fix all of this," I declared. My heart shattered to pieces as she silently cried herself to sleep. I moved out from under Eve and pulled the blanket over her.

I kissed her forehead before quietly leaving the room. I walked to my office where Dr. Nale and Brian were still sitting of the couch. "How do we undo the spell?" I asked, getting straight to the problem. The sooner we figure all of this out, the sooner my future family will be made and safe.

"Only the witch who cast the spell can undo it," Dr. Nale informed me. "But if the witch dies, then the magic disappears, undoing the spell."

I nodded in understanding. "So I just have to kill the witch," I stated.

"But what if they were different witches?" Brian asked. "Sure, they did the same spell, but what if they really thought all of this through? What if they used different witches so if one dies, the other spell is still intact?"

My gut dropped. I thought this would be easy, but if Brian's right, then this could get a whole lot more complicated. Plus, we can't just go around killing witches. Dr. Nale sighed. "That is possible, but we can just think about this situation like there is only one witch. When the witch is dead, then you guys should feel the spell being lifted. If only one of you feel it, then we just look for the other witch. For now, we just deal with one," he suggested.

Brian and I nodded in agreement. "But where do we start? We don't have any leads," I stated.

"Didn't he work with rogues?" Brian asked. "That could be our lead. Barely anyone associated with rogues."

True. Everyone stays away from rogues. They are traitors, 85% of the time. I just work off of the majority. Basically, all rogues are dangerous until proven safe. It's general knowledge. All supernaturals know this. "Why would a witch and rogues even agree to work together? Witches usually don't even get along with werewolves," I voiced my thoughts.

"The both must get something out of it," Dr. Nale said. "So for now, let's make a plan."

"We can see if Eve knows anything," Brian suggested. "Maybe she actually saw him. We can ask about any tattoos or his hair color, things like that."

I nodded in agreement. "I'll do that later, I think she needs to rest," I said. Brian and Dr. Nale nodded in understanding. "We can go talk to a few covens and ask about anyone that would do something like this."

"That's smart. I have a few friends who are witches. I can make a few calls and tell them that we will be visiting," Dr. Nale stated.

"Alright. What do we do next?"

*****

Two hours later, we created a whole plan. In the morning, I would ask Eve about the witch, then we would travel around and ask the witches. We would work on leads that we got from them, and talk to packs about other rogues who worked with witches.