Chapter Forty-Two

Genevieve

I put the phone on mute, so Asher wouldn't be able to hear me. We've never really talked about the rejection or Wendy. We never really had a fight. I didn't want to fight with him because I'm scared. We can fight about everything, and maybe one time, we won't be able to forgive each other.

I don't want to fight with Asher. He used the Alpha voice before, but we weren't fully mated. And I think I deserved that, I didn't have emotions then. But this, this Alpha command, just sparked something in me. I should be angry at him. I should be yelling or something. But I can't. Honestly, I'm just hurt. And I want my mate to hold me, while I cry; but he's not here.

Asher took my silence as a time to talk. "I fucked up. I know that. I fucked up so many times, and you forgave me" Damn right. I didn't do anything wrong. At least I don't think I did. And every time that he hurt me, I forgave him. Because I know, that no matter what he does wrong, he's my mate and I'll always love him, even if the feelings are one-sided.

That's what the mate-bond does to you. "But I swear to god, I don't do it on purpose. I'm trying to be a good mate, I really am. I don't mean to do all this shit, it just happens" Really. A good mate? He fucking used an Alpha command on me. And all he says is 'I'm sorry' and 'I don't mean to.' Sometimes apologies aren't enough.

I couldn't help it, I quickly unmuted the phone. Then, I snapped. "Yeah. Shit happens"

"I'm so so sorry" Oh my god. He added another 'so' that makes it so much better. Please, note my sarcasm. "I know that apologizing is never enough, but I will always, always regret rejecting you" Asher stated. He sounded so sad and broken. I know that he didn't mean to do it, but it still hurt.

I want to forgive him, just not right now. I don't think I'm capable of forgiving him, yet. "I just-" I sighed, looking for the right words. "I need time, Asher" I said quietly.

"Okay" Asher agreed. "I love you, so much, baby" Asher said.

"I love you, too, Asher" I responded before hanging up. I dropped down on my bed and stuffed my face into the pillows.

I heard my door slowly creek open. "Hey, Eve" Shawn said softly. The bed dipped as he sat next to me and soothingly rubbed my back.

"Am I an idiot?" I asked. Knowing Shawn, he will be honest with me. I knew that he was standing by the door, and I know that he was listening to the whole phone call.

I flipped over so I could see his face. He was really thinking about it. "You're not an idiot" Shawn stated. "I think you're hurt and you need time to find the will to forgive him" he hit the nail right on the head.

"I just feel horrible" I said honestly. "He's on this mission to help us, so we can have a pup; but I fought with him"

Shawn sighed. "You had a reason to fight. He did a lot in the past, and it wasn't healthy for your guys to not talk about it. You guys needed this fight" he informed me. I slowly nodded in understanding. He's right. We did need to at least talk about it. Shawn lightly nudged me. "Come on" he said. "I bought Hot Cheetos and orange Fanta" he softly smiled at me.

"Junk food makes everything better" I stated. We walked to the kitchen, where Matthew, Britney, Hope, Peyton, and Brian were sitting on the counters. "Hey, guys" I greeted them.

I jumped on the island in the middle and Shawn placed a bottle of orange Fanta and a bag of Hot Cheetos next to me. I thanked him and ripped open the bag. I popped a few in my mouth with a smile.

*****

It's been about a week since Asher left and since we had that fight. He's been giving me space. We haven't talked since then and Ingrid won't talk to me. She understands why I'm doing this, but she doesn't approve of it.