Chapter One

(Caleb's Point of View)

 "I'm thinking of getting a wallaroo," Joey says, spooning some potatoes into his mouth. His hazel eyes are lit up with excitement, standing out against his dark brown hair.

I look across the large round maple dining table at my mom who looks particularly concerned. She's distracted enough that she drips some of her gravy onto the table, which is a shame because it's brand new. She was so excited to show it to us when we arrived, it goes perfectly with the creamy white walls and walnut floors of the palace informal dining room.

"You should get a tiger," Colin says from beside me.

I see a devilish display of my own features reflected in his, sandy hair and dark eyes. Though we're identical twins he wears this devious look much more often than I do.

"You don't need a pet," Julian says.

He resembles Colin and I more than he does Joey, sharing the same hair we inherited from our mother and the eyes we got from our father. I often think my siblings and I are a perfect split of our parents. Each of us with half of their features.

"You'll probably kill it," Julian finishes.

Levi snorts from the other side of the table. He, like Joey, shares our father's dark hair and mother's hazel eyes. But while Joey inherited my mom's doe eyes Levi's face has always looked more serious, like our father's.

Levi's wife Mila lays a hand on her husband's arm, a silent warning to behave. Her platinum blonde hair and pale skin make her stand out among us but she fits in in spirit. She only recently started coming to family events, after she and Levi got married this winter.

Joey has a very strict no non-family at family events policy that even applies to longtime partners so Julian's girlfriend, Aria, is missing tonight.

"I will not!" Joey protests. "I am a great father!"

"Joey," our mom calls softly.

"You're not a father at all, and you forgot to feed your fish for three days," Julian says. He cuts off a piece of steak and pops it in his mouth. "It would be animal cruelty to let you have a pet." He turns to our dad. "You should make a law against it."

Our dad sighs. "Julian..."

"I was eight," Joey says. "Eight-year-olds sometimes forget to feed fish, and he survived, so what's the big deal?"

"I vote Joey gets the tiger," Colin says.

I elbow him lightly, shooting him a look. He doesn't need to encourage Joey's terrible ideas.

Colin smiles at me and wiggles his eyebrows.

"How about we put a hold on the exotic pets," our mom cuts in, shooting Joey a soothing smile. "Maybe it would be better to start with something easier to care for."

Joey frowns but doesn't argue.

"What are your plans for the summer, boys?" My dad asks, looking at Colin and I. "School's over now right?"

"Probably just going to do the usual," I tell him.

"Which is?" He asks.

"Not shit," Colin answers.

"Play video games and melt their brains," Levi interjects.

"There are some visiting dignitaries this summer," our mom says, looking between us. "I believe they're bringing their families."

Colin and I share a look. Politician's kids are the worst.

"You could probably find some internships," our dad says.