Chapter Nine

(Caleb's Point of View)

 I don't go back to the bar I met Charli at. Colin suggests it a few times but I always redirect him somewhere else. I figure I'm better off never seeing Charli again. I don't know what's going on with me but I know I need to keep my distance. I tell myself if I see her again I'll run in the other direction. I will not get involved.

Colin and I keep using the potion every weekend, developing an addiction to being anonymous. The leaves have changed colors by the next time I see Charli. She comes up behind me at a modern-looking bar, taking me by surprise. She approaches while I'm standing at the long sleek bar top, having just received my drink. I feel her hand on my back first and as I turn she slips into the small space next to me.

"Finally, someone interesting," she says by way of greeting. She's smiling at me in a familiar way as if it hadn't been two months since we last saw each other. "I thought I was going to have to go home alone. Or worse— with one of these losers."

It takes a few moments to catch up, to process she's standing here in front of me, talking to me. Her fair locks are in loose curls tonight and she's dressed simply, in jeans and a red sweatshirt advertising the name of a gym.

"Who says I'm going home with you?" I ask coolly.

"Past experience," she says, signaling the bartender. "And the laws of physics."

"The laws of physics?"

"The law that says two objects attracted to each other will collide." She says this confidently, as though she's well versed in physics.

"We already collided," I remind her.

The bartender slides Charli a drink and she picks it up and takes a sip.

"They're going to keep colliding," she says. "Over and over."

"When do they stop?" I ask, humoring her.

Charli shrugs. "I guess when they explode."

"I don't want to explode," I tell her. "And I don't think that's an actual law of physics."

"You wouldn't know," Charli taunts.

I roll my eyes but keep my mouth shut because she's right. I wouldn't know.

"Let's go sit down," Charli says, lightly touching my elbow.

I want to say no. I can feel it bubbling up in my throat, no thank you. I swore Charli off a long time ago and for good reason. I don't need to be starry-eyed for someone I can never be with or someone who doesn't want me back. It's better not to get mixed up with her again.

"Sure," I answer.

Charli grins as if she knows of the battle she just won and I follow her to a shiny high-top table in a somewhat quieter part of the bar.

"I knew I'd see you again," Charli says as she relaxes in her seat.

"How'd you know that?" I ask, intrigued by her confidence.

"Sometimes you just know," Charli says cryptically.

"You just know?"

"If someone's meant to be in your life they will be," she says easily.

"You think I'm meant to be in your life?" I ask, a strange feeling tugging on my gut.

"Hell if I know." Charli leans in and beckons me closer. "I think the universe wants us to bang again," she whispers conspiratorially.