Chapter Fourteen

(Charli's Point of View)

"This sucks," I mutter as CJ and I trudge down the street through the slush.

CJ looks down at me and I can see the slight perpetual smile on his face. The boy loves winter. I can't relate.

"It's not too bad," he says.

"I'm freezing."

"When we get back to your place I can warm you up." He nudges me and wiggles his eyebrows.

"I am way too cold for sex."

"Who said anything about sex? I'm talking cuddles and a movie." He tilts his head thoughtfully. "We should watch that new martial arts movie."

I'm looking at CJ so I don't see the large puddle of slush until I step right into it. I cringe and quickly jump to dry land, shaking out my boots. I look at CJ and he looks amused. I cross my arms even though I know I look pouty and resume walking.

"I'm not watching a karate movie," I grumble.

"I don't think it's karate. I think it's something else."

"They're all the same thing. Punch, kick, repeat."

"That's culturally insensitive."

"You're culturally insensitive," I retort.

"Yeah, well, you're pretty," he says, using the same aggressive tone I had.

A smile makes its way onto my face and I shake my head.

When CJ and I get back to my apartment I change into warm pajamas and we cuddle up on the couch, his arm wrapped around my shoulders, and watch his stupid martial arts movie. I was totally right. It's just punching and kicking.

Halfway through the movie, I'm bored out of my mind. There's only so many times I can watch a man fight people. I nudge CJ in the side and he redirects his attention to me.

"Tell me about your family," I request.

I love hearing about his family. Maybe it's because he has the kind of family I always dreamed of having. Loving parents and a handful of siblings that you can always rely on. I think I'm living vicariously through him.

"One of my brothers just got a cat," he tells me. "I'm really worried about the cat."

"Why?"

"He's not very responsible and he loses interest super fast. And he named it Fungi, which is..." CJ shakes his head. "I can't even unpack that."

I laugh. "Fungi?"

"Do you want to know what he said when my other brother asked him why he chose that name?"

I nod enthusiastically.

"He said he picked it because Fungi is a fun guy."

I erupt with laughter. "Which brother is this?"

"The one right above me and my twin."

"He's my favorite," I tell him with a grin. "I like him."

CJ smiles. "You guys would get along."

My smile fades a little when I realize that at this rate I probably won't meet any of his family. I guess it doesn't really matter whether or not we'd get along.

"Tell me more," I prod.

CJ rubs his chin then lights up. "My second oldest brother is going to propose to his long-time girlfriend soon."