Chapter Twenty-Seven

(Caleb's Point of View)

It's been almost two months since I've seen Charli. I've gotten over the wallowing, but the self-loathing remains. I thought it would get easier as time went on, but I still think about her every day. Not just about our fight, but how her laugh sounded or the way she constantly teased me. I can still recall her voice in my head. It hasn't gotten any easier, not at all.

It's become so unbearable I give in to temptation and do something very, very stupid. I go to The Pearl, the restaurant Charli once said she works at, for lunch.

It's not terribly busy when I walk in. The restaurant decor is nautical, but it's more classy than tacky. I want to ask the hostess if Charli's working or if I can sit in her section, but I know how odd that would be coming from me. The hostess already looks starstruck when she seats me, I don't need to give her more reasons to talk about me.

I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky when it's Charli who comes to take my drink order. She's dressed in a collared plain white shirt, black pants, and a black apron, which is what all of the waitstaff are wearing, but I'm still struck by her beauty. Even with her hair thrown up in a messy ponytail, she looks gorgeous.

"Can I get you something to drink?" she chirps.

She doesn't seem surprised to see me so I reckon she doesn't realize I'm royalty.

"Just water is fine," I tell her after an embarrassingly long pause where I just take in the sight of her.

"That's not boring or anything," she says with a hint of a smile.

"Well then what would you suggest?" I'm trying not to grin.

That's such a Charli thing to say. I wonder if she talks to all of the customers like that.

"Maybe one of the cocktails." She points to the cocktail menu sitting on the table. "I like the Cinnamon Arrow, but that's just me having good taste."

"I guess I'll have a Cinnamon Arrow then."

"I'll be right back," she says with a sweet smile.

When she's gone I let out a long shaky breath. It feels so good to see her, to hear her voice. I know this is insanely stupid and dangerous but I've been here for five minutes and it's already worth it.

I alternate between pretending to study the menu and watching Charli at her other tables while she's gone. When she starts walking back towards me I've spent so much time watching her that I still don't know what I want to eat.

She sets my drink down in front of me and takes out her pad of paper.

"Have you decide what you want to eat?" She asks brightly.

I don't think I've ever heard Charli sound so enthusiastic. I know it's probably all fake, but she puts on a good show.

"Uh, what would you recommend?"

"I like the crab cakes."

"Crab cakes it is," I tell her, shutting the menu and holding it out to her.

"Good choice," she says with a wink.

I spend my time waiting by watching Charli while trying to seem like I'm not watching Charli. When she brings my food I devour it the same way I did my drink because she really does have good taste. They're delicious.

My stomach sinks when she brings my bill because it means this little vacation is coming to an end and I have to go back to the real world now. I leave her a massive tip, in part because I feel terrible about the way I treated her.