Chapter Thirty-Nine

(Caleb's Point of View)

Charli texts me on my old CJ number asking if we can meet up to talk so I spend the next twenty minutes pacing the length of my apartment while I wait for her to arrive.

I don't know if my anxiety gets worse or better when there's a knock on the door. I spot a dirty bowl sitting on the counter on my way to the door.

I probably should've spent that time cleaning up instead of freaking out.

I awkwardly greet Charli and let her in and we hover in between the kitchen and the living room. I shift on my feet, unsure if I should be offering her a drink or place to sit down. I've only ever had family over.

"So this is where you live," she says, looking around.

"This is it."

"Can we sit down?" She gestures to the couch.

"Yeah, of course."

We sit down with an entire cushion between us which I take as a bad sign. I try to start preparing myself for the incoming heartbreak.

"You lied to me," Charli says. She's not looking at me, instead staring at my coffee table. "You broke my trust. Multiple times in multiple different situations."

"I'm sorry."

She's quiet for a moment. "You made me so happy," she says softly. She finally meets my eyes. "CJ did. I've never felt so comfortable with a person."

She tucks her hair behind her ear and I stay quiet, sensing she's not done.

"Ninety-nine percent of my memories with both CJ and Caleb are good ones. I think..." She swallows. "That outweighs the lying, don't you? All that happiness and good?"

She's looking at me like she expects an answer.

"That's not for me to decide," I tell her. "You deserve to make that choice all on your own."

She licks her lips and her gaze drifts back to the coffee table. "Do you remember the night we met?"

"I do."

"Do you remember what you told me to remember you by?"

"I told you I eat a ton of corn even though I'm allergic." I smile slightly. "You called me passionately stupid."

"You love the things that you love so... So... Passionately." She looks at me with glassy eyes. "I can't stop thinking what if one day you could love me like that."

"Charli..." I reach out and grab her hand. "I do love you like that. You mean everything to me."

She bites her bottom lip. "If we're going to be together, it's going to be for real. No hiding in the middle of the night, no one day a week, and no more lying."

"Done," I agree. "Anything, I'll do anything you want."

Charli smiles her familiar mischievous smile and beckons me over with one finger. I slide down the couch and she brings her hand up to cup my cheek.

"Your face is different but this feels the same," she says softly.

"I love you so much."

Charli tilts her head up so that our lips meet. Time seems to stop as I bury my fingers in her soft hair. Every kiss with Charli feels magical but this one feels otherworldly after spending so much time apart.

When Charli backs away I release my grip on her hair and let my hand fall to her neck. We stare into each other's eyes for a few moments and then she retracts her hand and sits back against the couch, I let my own hand fall to my side.