Chapter Twenty-Eight

(Charli's Point of View)

It's not every day royalty is seated in your section. Megan, our hostess, warned me beforehand and then proceeded to fangirl with another waitress.

I had rolled my eyes and brushed off the warning. I appreciate her trying to look out for me, but I don't need a heads up about a prince eating at our restaurant. The whole status thing has never meant much to me.

I was hoping it would be Joey so I could ask him about his book, but when I exit the kitchen it's one of the twins I see. His dark blonde hair is falling into his eyes as he looks down at the menu and he keeps brushing it away. I don't know if this is Piper's twin or the other one, so I just don't bring Piper up at all. He was polite, nice, and left an enormous tip, so he's on my good side for now.

As Piper pulls up to pick me up after work I yank open the door and settle into Beatrix's uncomfortable cloth seats.

"One of the twins came into the restaurant today," I announced. "I don't know if it was your stalker or the other one."

Piper snorts. "What was he like?"

"I don't know. Polite."

"It's probably the other one then." She glances at me. "My stalker has manners, but he usually cracks a few inappropriate jokes."

"Which one is stalking you?"

"Colin. I'm guessing you met Caleb."

"I hope he comes back," I say honestly. "He left a giant tip."

Piper laughs. "That reminds me of something..."

She goes on to tell me a story about a bad tipper that used to be a regular where she works. It's not the funniest thing I've ever heard but it makes me laugh all the same.

When Piper drops me off at home I go straight for the shower then heat up something for dinner and grab my textbook so I can highlight it while I eat. When I'm done eating I power my way through some homework and then get into bed, falling asleep almost immediately.

My schedule isn't hectic, but it is demanding. Most of my time during the day goes to work or school with little room for much else. I like it this way though since I'm so busy I don't even have to think.

Because of my preoccupation with everything in my life I completely forget about the prince coming into the restaurant. When I see him sitting in my section again about a week later, it surprises me. I didn't think he would come back.

"Can I get you something to drink?" I ask, coming up to stand in front of his table.

"What do you suggest?"

My manager always tells me to push the cocktail of the day but I'm really not feeling that. It tastes like peach garbage.

"Do you like whiskey?"

"I do."

"We have a good local one."

The prince nods. "I'll try that."

I smile and go off to put in his drink order and check on the one other table I have. I give the prince his drink when it's done and put in his lunch order. My other table left and after bussing their table I don't have much else to do so I wander back over to the prince.

"Can I ask you a question?" I lean on the booth across from him and cross my arms over my chest.

He looks up from his phone and smiles. "Sure."

"Which one are you?"

"What?"

"Which of the twins are you?"

"I'm Caleb."

I nod slowly. So he's not Piper's stalker then.

"Your brother is stalking my best friend," I inform him.

Surprise flickers across his face. "Who's your friend?"

"Her name is Piper. She works at a restaurant uptown."

"Does she work the breakfast shift?"

"Yeah, usually."

He laughs and shakes his head. "He talks about her constantly. I had no idea—" he shakes his head again. "That's crazy."

"He talks about her?"

Caleb seems to hesitate, then nods. "Yeah, pretty often. He never referred to her by name, I was just calling her 'breakfast girl'."

Colin has been talking about Piper to his brother? Maybe he's a lot more interested than Piper thinks.

"I'm kind of surprised she keeps rejecting him," Caleb continues. "Not to sound obnoxious or anything, but that doesn't happen to us often."

"Piper doesn't really care about that sorta thing," I shrug. "She thinks you should judge someone on their actions, not their money or title."

"And what do you think?"

"The same. The only difference is if some guy kept bugging me I would've inflicted bodily harm by now."

Caleb laughs. "I don't doubt it."

"I have a question."

"I might have an answer."

"Did your brother Joey write a book?"

Caleb's expression turns nervous. "I don't think so."

"You're a terrible liar." I tuck a wayward strand of hair behind my ear. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. I just want to know if he's writing another one."

"Why?"

"Because his first one was magnificent?"

Confusion crosses his face. "Seriously? You liked that?"

"Are you kidding? I've never read anything like it in my entire life. Space bears? A moose dynasty? The tribe of talking lemons? It's awesome."

Caleb scratches his head. "I thought it was kind of weird."

"That might be because you have no taste."

Caleb laughs again, his eyes crinkling on the sides. "Not all of us can be as wise as you."

"I know, it's sad right?" I glance back at the kitchen. "I'll go check on your food."

When Caleb's food is done I bring it to him then tend to the group of people that just got seated. Business starts to pick up and by the time I bring Caleb his bill the lunch rush is in full swing.

I don't talk to him again after that, but he leaves another massive tip that I happily slide into my apron pocket. If Colin tips anything like Caleb does, I don't know why Piper's always complaining about him.

I love it.