Chapter Two

(Charli's Point of View)

I gather my long blonde hair in my hands and throw it up into a half-hearted bun. After a long day of waiting tables, the only thing I want to do right now is go home and take a hot shower. Instead, I'm waiting outside in the humid spring air waiting for Piper to pick me up. She's ten minutes late even though she swore she'd be on time. I'm not surprised she's late but I am annoyed.

After what seems like an eon, but is actually more like five minutes, I see Piper's beat-up grey Toyota Camry pull into the parking lot. I sigh in relief and yank open the door when she pulls up in front of me, then slam it shut.

"Take it easy on poor Beatrix," Piper chastises.

Her glossy pink lips are positioned in a pout. Even with her dark ginger hair thrown up in a bun, she's the definition of beautiful. I notice a few new freckles on her cheeks, joining the freckles that already dust her nose. Unfortunately for her, her beauty doesn't sway me.

"You're late," I say, my anger seeping into my voice.

Piper puts the car in drive and begins pulling out of the parking lot.

"I'm really sorry," she says. "I was watching trashy TV and totally lost track of time."

"You're dead to me."

"Charli." She says my name the way you would say a petulant child's.

When I turn my head to look out the window without replying she sighs.

"It's still faster than the bus," she reasons.

I exhale a huge gush of air and turn to look at her. "Thank you." I know it comes out grudgingly but I really do mean it.

"I don't like you riding the bus alone at night," Piper says for maybe the hundredth time. "You're too pretty. You're going to earn yourself a stalker."

I roll my eyes. "You're dramatic."

"You think I'm lying? Charli, if I was a guy I would totally stalk you."

A small smile fights its way onto my face. "Gee, thanks, Piper."

"Would you stalk me?"

"Probably not, seems like too much work to stalk someone."

"Okay, I get it," she says. "You don't love me."

I roll my eyes again. "Maybe I'd love you if you weren't always late."

Piper sighs loudly. "I've had an epiphany," she says, glancing at me.

"An epiphany?"

She nods. "I was watching reality TV, right? Well, that bitchy blonde girl was fighting with the pretty ex-ballerina and then it cut to everyone in the house talking about how much the blonde sucks." Piper stops at a light and meets my eyes. "Because she really does suck. But then the blonde was talking about how she was all alone and I was like, oh my god that's Charli."

I furrow my eyebrows. "You think I'm a bitchy blonde?"

I mean, she's not wrong.

"No, I think you're alone and that makes me so sad, you know?"

The light turns green and she resumes driving.

"I'm not alone," I tell her. "I have you."

Piper gives me a sad look. "But you only have me. Don't you want other friends? Or a boyfriend?"

I cross my arms over my chest. "No thanks. I'm good with just you."

"Maybe you should come out with me and some of my friends," she suggests.

I let out a short sarcastic laugh. "No."

"I think you'd be a lot happier if you let a few more people into your life." She glances at me, the streetlights illuminating her face. "I'm not saying you have to be a social butterfly but a few more friends wouldn't kill you."

To have friends you need to trust people which is something I'm not very good at. Piper knows this so I'm not sure why she's pushing the subject.

"If I go on one of those dating shows will you stop bitching?" I ask.

"Only if you end up marrying a millionaire," she says, smiling at me. "Make sure he has a friend for me."

"Yes, because millionaires love dating waitresses in college," I say sarcastically.

"Why wouldn't they?" Piper asks sweetly. "We're hot."

A smile forces its way onto my face.

Piper turns onto my street and when she slows and stops outside my apartment I unbuckle and turn to her, one hand on the door handle.

"Thanks for the ride."

"You're welcome. But now you owe me."

"I don't owe you anything," I protest. "You offered."

"And you accepted. Which means you're going to that pottery class with me."

Piper has been begging me to join the pottery class she's taking and I keep turning her down. Sitting around painting vases isn't really my thing. But this is the tenth time she asked so it must be important to her. I feel my resolve fading.

"Fine," I agree. "I'll see you later."

"Love you!"

"Love you too," I say as I push open the door and step out.

When I step inside my apartment I flick on the lights. I walk past my bookshelf overflowing with books and plants, past my worn tan couch, and past my small white table and chairs, straight into my bedroom. I dig around in my closet for some clean clothes and then finally take my hot shower.

When I'm washed and dressed in a t-shirt and underwear I fall back on my violet sheets and groan. My feet ache and my eyes burn. I wiggle under the covers and turn off the lamp on the bedside table, throwing the room into darkness.

I remind myself that tomorrow is Saturday, my day off. Piper and I are going to go out and drink and have fun so there's no need for me to mope right now, there's no point. I feel a little mopey anyway, thinking about all the homework I have to get done tomorrow. Why did I think engineering would be a good major?

I close my eyes and let my mind go empty as I drift off into much-needed sleep. 

****

Author's Note: What did you think of Charli? Any first impressions? Let me know with a comment and feel free to leave a vote.