Chapter Twenty-Two

(Charli's Point of View)

"You can't be serious," I say, glancing at CJ.

I take in the enormous room filled with numerous tables occupied by the elderly. There's someone at a podium in the front who's calling out numbers.

"You did not bring me to play bingo," I say. "Right?"

"I totally brought you to play bingo." CJ grins, looking very pleased with himself.

"Why would you think I would enjoy playing bingo?"

"Because bingo is awesome."

CJ takes me by the hand and purchases our bingo cards. Then he finds us an empty table and we sit down.

"If you win I'll give you a present," CJ says, studying his bingo cards.

"That's certainly an incentive. What kind of present?"

CJ glances up at me and smiles. "I lied, I'm going to give you a present whether you win or lose." He perks up as a number is called and marks it off on one of his sheets. "It's a good present. I think you'll like it."

"It wasn't expensive, right?"

Though I love the laptop CJ bought for me I still feel a little guilty knowing he spent so much money on me. CJ has never talked about his financial situation but I imagine the brand new top-of-the-line computer put a dent in his savings. It's the best computer I've ever had and I love it but every now and then a voice in the back of my mind reminds me of how much it must've cost him.

"The price doesn't matter," CJ says, breaking me out of my thoughts. "I just want to make you happy."

A warm feeling spreads through me. He's so sweet sometimes it kills me a little. I wish I could express to him how much his continuous kindness means to me but fear and embarrassment always hold me back.

"You don't need to buy me things to make me happy." I mark off a number on two of my sheets. "How can I make you happy?"

"I'm always happy when I'm with you, you don't need to do anything at all."

His eyes are focused on his bingo sheets so I take the opportunity to study him. How did I land this handsome, incredibly kind man? It seems too good to be true.

Maybe it is too good to be true. CJ's secrets are always in the back of my mind. Is it going to hurt me? I had asked him. Probably, he'd answered. I should probably be worried about whatever he's hiding. I know this is going to most likely end badly for me.

CJ grins as he marks off a number on all three of his sheets.

This is a trainwreck waiting to happen but I'm along for the ride. I'll take the bad outcome if it means I get to have all of these wonderful experiences first. I think the heartache will be worth it.

"Bingo!" A woman calls, standing up from her seat.

"Shit," CJ mutters. He sighs and looks at me, the picture of forlorn.

"Are we done now?" I ask, stacking my bingo sheets.

"Does a goblin love mayonnaise?"

"I..." I give him a weird look. "I have no idea. Does a goblin love mayonnaise?"

"They hate it," CJ says. He slaps the table with both hands. "The game continues!"

"What kind of saying is that? How would you even know if a goblin likes mayonnaise?"

CJ shrugs. "It's something my brother says a lot. I think he made it up, I don't know. He has a lot of weird sayings. All I know is goblins hate mayonnaise and they love caramel apples."

"Wow," I say. "Your brother sounds pretty interesting."

"He's a bit of a freak," CJ says, shrugging one shoulder. "I love him though." He stands from his seat and gestures to the front of the room. "I'm gonna go buy us a few more bingo cards. I'll be right back."

I groan in reply.

CJ makes me play three more rounds of bingo before he finally decides we can leave. It wasn't that bad though, I think CJ can make anything fun. We head back to my apartment and watch movies in our underwear until it's time for him to leave.

"I almost forgot!" CJ says just as he's about to go out the door. "Your present!" He digs in his front pocket and brings out a white envelope folded in half.

I hesitantly take the envelope from him and pull out the two slips of paper inside. Eden Spa is printed in large letters on the top of the paper. Underneath it, One Full Package is printed in block lettering.

"It's the best-reviewed spa in town," he explains. "I got two because I figured you'd have more fun if Piper went with you."

I look from the gift certificates to him, unable to speak.

"I figured you need to relax," he continues. "You work so hard all the time, I know it drains you." He reaches out and taps the certificates. "This way you can recharge a little bit."

"You..." I can't seem to find the words. "This was so nice of you."

I take a step forward and throw my arms around him, pulling him in for a long tight hug. When we step back I look at the certificates again, finding it hard to believe these are for me.

"And to think of Piper too?" I reach out and squeeze his hand. "Seriously, thank you so much. I..." I love him. I love this incredibly kind man. "I really appreciate it."

CJ smiles. "It's no big deal." He leans in, giving me a quick kiss. "I gotta go, I'll see you next week."

"Okay, I'll see you then."

He gives me one more kiss and then he's gone out the door.

I look down at the spa certificates in my hand again. He bought me a spa package at the best spa in town because he knew I was stressed out. Not only that but he got an extra one for Piper, who he's never met, because he thought I'd enjoy it more. Is this some kind of prank? Can people really be that thoughtful?

I slip the certificates back into the envelope and put them in the small safe I keep in my closet so that I don't lose them.

Maybe CJ is hiding something big and terrible but I think he's worth whatever pain is incoming. I've never been so happy in my entire life. I'm in love with him. God, I'm in love. I really didn't think I'd ever be able to say that.

When I fall asleep I have incomprehensible but pleasant dreams. Even my subconscious is happy. I want this to last forever. 

****

Author's Note: Let me know what you thought of the chapter with a comment or a vote :)