Chapter Twelve

Spending your day going between two places really tires you out. Today I've been going to the place I like to call 'Retreat' A.K.A, my cave, and back to my house multiple times.

I'm slowly beginning to make Retreat more comfortable and cozy. Bookshelves I had assembled from scratch now lined the walls, filled with many of my favorite books. The generator had been upgraded, and now I also had Wi-Fi.
Very useful for late night binge sessions.

Outdoor rugs littered the floor, making it easier on my bare feet, because most of the time I went barefoot. Old-style lanterns hung from the ceiling, along with the fairy lights.  I had also added a mini-fridge, for when I get the munchies.

A pile of pillows, blankets, and the odd beanbag served as a bed. But more resembled a nest.
One wall was still entirely dedicated to knives and weapons, and a bullseye target was almost completely shredded. Along with a straw dummy I used for fighting practice.

Currently, I was laying sprawled out among the pillows and blankets. Munching on popcorn that I had warmed up from the small microwave. And watching Sherlock on my laptop.

My phone started ringing and I groaned.

"What?!"
I answered it, annoyed.

"Calm down Ashley, I was just calling to ask if you could come to Caroline's Birthday/Funeral party at the old Fell Crypt"

"Bonnie you know I'm always up for hanging around cemeteries, I'll be there in five"

Hanging up, I sighed. Closing my laptop and getting up, I made my way to the old Fell Crypt. Which wasn't very far from where I was.

~~~~~

"This is creepy. Even for us"
Bonnie's voice came out of the tomb. Stepping inside I made myself known.

"A birthday/funeral in a crypt, Caroline? Never thought you'd have the guts."

Elena turned around to face me,

"Who invited you?!"
She said, snobbly. Bonnie raised her hand,

"Uh I did"

"That's right. Bonnie-The-Selfless over there invited me because, Number One, I love hanging around dead places. And Number Two, I brought the Ginger Ale for the people that don't drink white-girl alcohol"

I handed Bonnie a bottle, she was the only other person that could actually stand the stuff. We clinked the glasses together and drank.

"Anyway. Caroline was right... technically she's dead. Sorry. But you don't need a birthday, you need a funeral. You need to say goodbye to your old life, so that you can move on with the new one"
Elena announced, taking charge as usual, and Caroline smiled.

"Okay. Here lies Caroline Forbes"

Elena started putting candles on a cake.

"Cheerleader, Miss Mystic Falls, third grade hopscotch champion..."

"Friend, daughter, overachiever"
Bonnie continued on.

"Mean girl. Sometimes. No offense"
Matt added on,

"None taken"

"She was seventeen, and she had a really good life. So rest in peace, so that she can move forward."
Elena walked in front of her and held out the cake.