Chapter Thirteen

Running is exhilarating. The feel of wind blowing past your face as you launch yourself over rocks and roots is a different kind of drug.

This morning I was choosing to run off my anger as I had said goodbye to Jeremy not two hours ago. I knew it would've been useless to convince him stay. Compulsion can only be undone if the action is completed or the person who did the compelling died.

Seeing as how Elena and Stefan would immediately seek revenge against me if I had murdered Damon, I simply settled for punching Elena in the nose again after he had left.

Damon had the good sense to stay away this morning. He knows as soon as he shows his weasel little face around me, I'm gonna lay him out.

Something I had also done this morning was officially move into Retreat. I can't stand to be in that house any longer. I hadn't even told Elena. I don't have that many clothes, so I had shoved them all in a bag, grabbed any other essentials, and got the heck away from there.

Since Retreat was now my home, I had continued to make improvements. A hot plate was added for homemade meals, and a French Press too, making it official. I had even go so far as to put as many groceries as would fit into the mini-fridge.

I contemplated all these things as I ran, the adrenaline now turning into slight pain as my feet ached for a rest. Leaning against a tree, I caught my breath.

Suddenly, I heard talking. Peeking around the tree, I see Damon and Elijah having a nice chat. Grinning to myself, I realize now is the perfect time to get my revenge against Damon. His back is turned towards me and is delved too deep in conversation to notice me.

Drawing a small throwing knife from my pocket, I aim carefully before releasing it from my hand. It makes almost no sound as it impales Damon straight on in the neck.

He lets out a small groan as he sinks to his knees. Damon collapsed face forward onto the ground in front of Elijah.

Walking forward, I whistle a cheery tune and wave to Elijah.

"Sup Elijah. How's the being undaggered life treatin' ya?"

He raised an eyebrow at me, and his gaze went from me to Damon to back to me.

"Just wonderful Ashley. Although every moment not spent in that wretched coffin is a delight. So tell me why Damon is currently lying on the ground with a knife in his neck?"

Picking up Damon by the collar, I turn him to face me, holding him slightly above the ground.

"Oh, well Elijah. All he did was compel my brother to leave town, all because my amazing sister told him too. It's pathetic Damon, really."

Elijah chuckled and straightened his tie, I guess being in a coma doesn't affect your properness.

"What do you want, Ashley?"
Damon groaned out, his face contorted in pain. He had abandoned calling me nicknames, the first and only time he did, I poisoned all his drinks with vervain for a week.

"Oh, nothing of importance really. Just you to suffer for a little while."

Pulling the knife out the back of his neck, while still holding him with my left hand, I shoved it up his throat.

"So Elijah,"
I directed my attention to him casually as Damon choked on his own blood.

"What has you and this miscreant in the middle of the woods at such an early hour?"

"That 'miscreant' and I were discussing a simple get-together tonight, him and Stefan, and Niklaus and I. We were just finishing up when you so abruptly made your presence"