Chapter Twenty-Two

Walking into the bar, the stench of blood fills my nostrils. A man drops on the floor in front of me. Standing behind him is Kol, a ripped out heart leaking onto the floor from his hand.

I glance down at the corpse, then back up at it's cause of demise. "And what exactly did he do to warrant such death?" I asked patiently.

Kol notices my presence and smirks.
"Ashley! Finally decided to slink out of your hole and rejoin society, darling?"

Gesturing to the motionless body in between us, I reply, "I could say the same for you, Kol. Considering how you only came to intervene because Silas is involved."

His arrogant smirk dropped and he made a menacing step towards me. Holding up a hand to placate him, I continued, "Don't get your panties in a wad, I'm not working with Silas. Just the opposite in fact, I'd rather watch Angels of Manhatten again than to see Silas rise." 

He raised a questioning eyebrow at my statement, his brown eyes filled with curiosity. "And how exactly do you know about Silas? I mean, everyone else seems to think he's a myth. What makes you so sure he's real?"

I straightened my black jacket, "Well, let's just say I've done my research on a things supernatural. Mainly, anything that could be considered a threat, and Silas just so happens to be on that list."

Kol shrugged thoughtfully in a way that said, 'I guess it makes sense.'

Before he could respond, I seized the moment to add on to my previous reply, "But you didn't answer my question, although I don't think you need too. After all, it's clear that Klaus turned this ugly mob-" I gestured to the pile of bodies around us. "-so that my brother could complete his Hunter's Mark. Thus leading him to the cure, and ultimately, Silas. Now you couldn't have that, so you killed them before Jeremy could. Did I get it correct?"

He blinked, surprised, and nodded confirmation. "Uh, yeah. Exactly  right." He let out a low whistle, "You really are a sharp one, aren't you? You have this entire town wrapped around your fingers."

I chuckled darkly, "Oh I wouldn't go as far as to say that. My reach is quite... limited compared to your resources I'm sure."

Kol's smirk crawled back up his face.
"Complimenting me now, are we? Hardly sounds like you darling. They say flattery is the easiest form of persuasion. So what exactly do you need to persuade me for?"

A smirk that reflected his grew on my face, I knew Kol was smarter than people gave him credit for. That's why I kept messing with him, to get him to show his true intelligence.

"Absolutely nothing." I responded evenly, "to be honest I was just seeing if you would notice, which you did. Kudos to you!" I lazily clapped. He gave a mock bow and we both laughed lightly.

Kol gave a deep sigh, his shoulders slumping down. "I've really begun to quite like you Ashley. So this is a shame really."

He charged at me, fangs out and snarling. But I was ready for him the minute I stepped in the door. When he reached me, I used my body weight to flip us over. Kol is now under me, pinned by my forearm at his neck and my weight.

"Really?" I sighed, shaking my head at him. "We were having a perfectly civil conversation, but you had to go and ruin it."

He growled and tried to get up, but I shoved him back down. "Nah-uh, you're gonna stay right there until I decide to let you up."

"I'm going to kill you for this!" He shouted, struggling beneath me to no avail.

"You already tried, remember? That's why we're in this position." I snarked back at him. "Listen, I'm not going to mess with your plans or anything. So would you please stop trying to kill me?"