Chapter Two

I woke up by the sound of a bird chirping. It was singing Rue's song. If Peeta was with me right now, he would say something along the lines of "They're singing just for you."

   "No, they're not, and you know it!"

   I need to get him out of my head.

   I lied in the crook of my sleeping bag for about ten minutes before I could hull myself out of the sleeping bag and get packed up. "Listen Katniss, you need to find Cato today. No exceptions." And with that, I hopped out of the tree, my bag strapped unto my back.

   I started  in the direction of the Career's old camp. I figured that Cato and Clove would still be hanign around there. As I approached the river, I slowed down and looked around a bit. I then heard the crunching of grass and spun my head around. I couldn't see anyone around, so I quickly assailed the nearest tree, which happened to be right next to me. As II looked all around, I heard a scream, tthen saw several people running for their lives.

   I recognized Foxface immediately. Beside her, I saw a very masculine-looking Thresh being chased by Cato. Perfect.

   As soon as I saw Cato, I instantly knew Clove would be lurking somewhere nearby. I assumed that it could be used as a distraction of some sort, but then I realized there was only six of us left. I didn't see Peeta's picture in the sky last night, did I? No, it was only that smart boy, Rue and her... murderer.

   I snapped back to reality quickly, and before it was too late, I hopped out of my tree. I pursuited the group from the right of them- I was also keeping my eyes out for any sign of Clove. All of the sudden, Thresh stopped and turned toward Cato. What was he doing? Thresh was an expert in hand-to-hand combat, but was that reall a good idea? Foxface kept on running, though. If they were ever allies, she just broke that bond. I guess it's better now than any other time though, with only six of us left.

   Just as Cato was pulling out a dagger he had obviously gotten from Clove, Thresh punched Cato in his face. Cato cried out in agony and dropped the knife. Thresh quickly picked it up, but he was too late. When Thresh bent over, Cato had taken the opportunity to swipe down on his back. Thresh started thrashing around wildly as Cato tried to dissarm him. All of the sudden, Thresg lashed out, knife in hand, and caught Cato's right shoulder.

   "NO! CATO!" I turned my head to the left and saw Clove dashing out from behind a tree on the opposing side of me.

   Cato fell to the ground just as Clove was reaching him. At first she just gasped, but then she turned on Thresh. "You... AUGH!" Clove made no hesitation to pull out her own knife. They began to circle each other, neither one daring to break the gaze of the other. "How COULD YOU?"

   Thresh stared at her coldly. "Let's see, well, I'm a tribute in the Hunger Games, he's NOT from my district, and I'm trying to stay alive." Thresh remained expressionless.

   It was at that moment when my arrow shot from its silver bow and through the air, cutting it like the dagger that was now through Clove's body.