Chapter Twenty-Four

She steps off of the platform, looking brilliantly stunning.

   Linsky's dress looks more like a piece of art than an actual dress. It is a gorgeous mixture of blue and purple, which compliments her eyes which appear to be an undetermined shade of either grey or blue. She stands tall enough for any other sixteen-year-old, but I'm not sure if that's how old she actually is. I notice that she's wearing shoes without any heel, and they're made of the same sheer and iridescent fabric as the dress. The fabric is much more layered over her dress, though, so nobody can actually see through the dress. Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail and curled and laced with ribbons and glitter.

   She smiles at Caesar, and quickly runs up to hug him. Caesar has the same lovable smile that he always has on his face, so no changes there. I quickly think about my expression, and put on a blank mask once I realize that my mouth has been slightly open, just like everyone else, from the moment Linsky walked in.

   I wish secretly in the very back of my mind that I will be able to kill her quickly. Her bones seem to be thinner and frailer than mine, not to mention she appears to not have an ounce of fat in her body. Of course that's good for me, because if it turns out she's stronger or faster than me, all I have to do is horde the food, and she'll die of starvation in no time.

   "So, Linsky!" Caesar smiles after he breaks away from the hug, "You just have to tell us all of the details!"

   Linsky smiles back at Caesar, and the audience, as she's lead by Ceasar to come and sit, right next to me. I notice that another chair has been brought out.

   "Well, I'm sorry, but I don't think I can share all of that information with you," Linsky begins, but the audience and Caesar alike express their disappointment verbally. "Sorry!"

   "As long as you're here, I'm sure we'll all get over it!" Caesar obviously fakes a sob, and the audience laughs. "Now, can everyone guess what happens next?" He holds a hand to his ear out to the audience. Shouts of response come from all over the people. "That's right! Time for our tributes to meet!"

   By this time, Linsky has been standing next to me for a few moments. We turn to each other and smile is turn, and she holds out her hand. For a moment, I think she's going to attack me, but I don't make it noticeable and quickly take it and we shake. Of course, this isn't enough for Caesar.

   "Come on girls, I know you just met formally for the first time, but can't we manage a hug?" The audience shouts in agreement.

   "I'm fine with it if you're fine," Linsky whispers sweetly.

   "Let's do it," I whisper back.

   So we embrace, letting go quickly but Caesar pretends not to notice. "Please girls, let's take up our seats now, shall we?"

   So we sit.

   Caesar talks to each of us individually, then to the both of us. He asks us about the Games, what we think will happen next, and tries to get Linsky to talk about what happened. Naturally, she refuses politely.

   I can't deny the fact that the audience loves her. I wonder how many sponsors that she had in the Games. It had to be quite a few. I also wonder if her family knew that she was alive before it was announced. Somehow, I doubt it. Maybe she doesn't even have a family.

   She's from District 9. As far as I know, that's the district in charge of grain. Maybe that's why she's so thin. But they still have to work in factories, I think. . . . After all, it's not like any district, save the few careers, get an easy break as far as work goes.

   "So Katniss," begins Caesar, "what do you think you'll do now? Do you think there will be another Games? Maybe you'll just both get to go home. . . ?"