Chapter Four

The brush started rustling, and there was Thresh with a bucket of water in his hands.

   "Here, um, I don't want to hurt you, so, er," Thresh stuttered as he held out the water to me.

   "Thanks," I said.

   As I washed away the blood from my ankle, Thresh watched me. I looked up at him.

   "Why are you doing this?" I asked.

   Thresh looked up from my ankle. "What do you mean? You saved the girl, I'll save you. It's a one-time deal, so you'd better take me up on it," Thresh smiled to himself.

   "Don't worry, I am, but you just seemed like the loner-type. I thought you would manage everything on your own, from beginning to end," I knew the cameras must be on us now, interested in the two odd-ends of the Games.

   "I have exceptions. Do you want me to help wrap that up?"

   "Yea, thanks."

   Thresh took my ankle in his hands and wrapped it up quickly and neatly. I was surprised that such tough hands could do such delicate work. When he was done, I pulled some groosling out of my little pack. "Want some?" I asked, holding the groosling out to him.

   "That would be great, thank you," Thresh took the groosling and stared at it hungrily for a moment before devouring it. "How did you get this?"

   I pointed to the bow and arrow set at my side. "I'm sort of an arrow whiz. So what about you, what have you been living on?" Thresh stared at me.

   "Why would I tell you my secrets?" he was teasing me now.

   "I just told you my secret, sort of, so you have to tell me how you have been living. We're allies now, remember?" I shook my piece of groosling at him before taking a huge bite.

   "There are all kinds of plants around here. At first, I had no clue what to eat and what not to eat, but then I remembered the edible plant stuff, so I looked around and compared the plants from memory. I found a stream upahead too, a little bit farther off from here. I stayed to fight at the Cornocopia, so I got a lot of equipment. I managed out a sword, a medical kit, and I scrapped up some various items off of some victims along the way of the Games," Thresh shrugged it all off as if it was nothing. So, he was an extremely good fighter. Not that I would have doubted it, even just looking at him.

   "You barely knew Rue, even though you two were from the same District. Why? Didn't you know she was the one who sang the end of the day song?"

   "I didn't actually... I always thought she had a talent, making those Mockingjays fall for her charms the way they did. I wish I would have known sooner- then she could have sung for me more," Thresh closed his eyes and smiled, then whistled the three-note tune. He opened his eyes. "Bittersweet."

   I nodded in agreement. I couldn't let the audience see how much that little Rue was getting at me. Even just seeing her in my mind brought tears to my eyes, so I had  to stop it. No more tortueing myself. I'll think of someone else. I'll... I'll think of Gale.

   "It's getting dark... I think I'm going to get some sleep," I faked a yawn and Thresh nodded his head.

   "Okay, I'll keep watch first then. I'll wake you if anything happens."

   "Thanks. Goodnight then."

   "Goodnight, Katniss."

   I opened up my bag and unrolled the sleeping bag. As soon as I climbed in, I turned my head downwad, so it was facing the ground and let my eyes slide closed. I didn't want the cameras to catch any of the emotions I was feeling right now.

   Just as I had told myself, I let my mind wander to Gale. Oh, Gale... What do you think will happen if I fall asleep tonight? Do you think Thresh will try to kill me? Do yyou think what I'm doing is right, Gale?

   I tried to think as if I was him. For a brief moment, I thought I heard him laughing at me.

   "These Games are really getting to you, aren't they, Katnip?"

   I could see his lovely smile as he stood there, standing with his arms crossed, watching my motionless head on the big screens in town.

   "Yea, they are. They'd mess with your head if you were here, too. Believe me."

   "I never said I didn't believe you. I'm just saying, don't get too close to anyone. Especially not Thresh," Gale was dead serious now.

   "Are you uncomfortable with me being around him?" I teased.

   "Yes, I am Katniss. He's bigger than you are. He's stronger than you are. In fact, he could probably snap your neck, just like Cato did with that other boy. He wouldn't hesitate. Watch your back, that's all I'm telling you."

   I was serious now too. "I'm sorry, but did YOU just tell ME to be careful? I'M the one in the Hunger Games, I think I know how to watch myself. Goodnight. Send my love to Prim."

   "And your mother...?" Gale questioned me.

   "Yes, her too."

   With that, I fell into a deep sleep.