Chapter Twelve

With the Cornucopia in sight, Thresh and I both sped up. As soon as we reached it I turned to him.

   "What now? We get in it? That won't do much good . . ." I thought out loud.

   "Listen Katniss, you go and climb that tree. The one with the branch hanging close to the top of the Cornucopia. Quickly!" Thresh shoved me in the direction of the tree.

   I quickly scrambled up it, heading for the branch Thresh pointed out. As soon as I laid my first hand down on the branch, I heard a rustling a little ways off. The rest of the beasts were already after us.

   "Quicker!" Thresh shouted desperately. He was trying to find something to hold on to on the top of the Cornucopia.

   I stood up on the branch, determined to make the jump that would make me safe. I got a running start, and jumped. And the branch snapped. I guess I didn't think too much about what would happen to the branch, since I was in such a rush. I wasn't a very large girl, but the branch wasn't exactly safe to run on in the first place. No branch is, really.

   Despite the branch breaking, my left foot landed squarely on top of the Cornucopia. I nearly fell off and I was winded, but I was on top. I noticed Thresh a moment later, trying to pull himself up. I quickly went to pull him up.

   "Getting on top of the Cornucopia was a good idea," I said through gritted teeth as I was pulling Thresh up.

   "Thanks. You mean that genuinely, right?" Thresh asked. He was nearly up now, but the beasts were nearly here.

   "Yea."

   I finally manage to pull Thresh out, and just in time. The rest of the beasts tore through the trees. I took note that they were mainly those I didn't know by name. The girl from District 3 who I dropped the tracker jack's nest on, the boy from District 3 who re-wired the land mines for the Careers, the boy from District 10 who was missing a leg, and the rest of the boys and girls from miscellaneous Districts. Those three were the only ones who weren't killed that first day in the bloodbath.

   Thresh and I stood up and stood tall on top of the Cornucopia. I bet we would've looked heroic, so the Capitol's audience would be swooning over us. We watched as the beasts ran up to the Cornucopia, clawing at the smooth golden surface to find some place with give so they could pull themselves up. Well that wasn't going to happen.

   I took the dagger in my hand and threw it at the girl for District 7 who had her mouth open when she was trying to climb. She screamed out in agony as I reached down to yank the dagger out of her throat. I successfully retrieved it without getting bitten, so that was good. I turned to Thresh to see that one beast had managed to pull himself up due to Thresh's ankle while Thresh was fighting one that could jump. I sliced open the throat of the boy who latched onto Thresh's leg before it could bite.

   "Thanks," Thresh muttered, concentrating fully on killing the beasts.

   "Just kill these things. That'll be thanks enough," I said as I spun around.

   I was met by the boy from District 3, who was just then hobbling over to me. Another beast, the boy from District 8, appeared behind him. Then the girl from District 3 was behind him. I quickly got out my bow and loaded an arrow. I aimed it directly at the first boy's throat and shot it. He fell over, blood gushing from his neck. I grabbed another arrow for the second boy, but he refused to open his mouth so I turned to the girl. She stupidly had her teeth barred the entire time, opening her mouth about every two seconds. I shot the arrow into her throat. He fell off the side of the Cornucopia like the first boy had. Now it was me and District 8 boy.