Chapter Five

I awoke to Thresh shaking me.

   "Hey, get up please. I'm super tired..." Thresh groaned.

   "Fine," I mumbled as I sat up in the sleeping bag.

   Thresh was curled up in a ball on the ground. "What are you doing?" I asked him.

   "Sleeping. What else?" Thresh opened one eye and stared at me.

   "Take the sleeping bag, I won't need it now. The sun's up and shining, so just sleep in there."

   Thresh scampered over to the sleeping bag. He was obviously freezing last night, and of course I was oblivious to him. It was a really nice day; perfect for hunting. The sun was shining brightly overhead, the birds chirping. A thought suddenly penetrated my thoughts of the days' work. Had any cannons gone off last night? Any at all? I don't think do. Clove's picture was probably projected overhead, but I was asleep through the anthem.

   I hope Peeta's okay. I really do. I probably seem totally heartless compared to him right about now. After Peeta declared his love for me at the interviews, I haven't exactly kept up my side of the act. Sure, we kissed a bit, but is that really love, or anything close to it? Not really.

   Just then, I was tackled to the ground.

    "AHH!" I screamed. There was Cato, dagger in his hand, face dripping with blood.

   "Didn't think that you could win this battle, did you?" Cato took his dagger and whipped it across my hand.

   I called out in more shock than actual pain, and I tried to wedge my hand behind my back to reach the sheath of arrows on my back. Cato noticed what I was doing and quickly snatched up the sheath.

   "Ah, ah, ah!" Cato teased. he took the dagger and tore it through the sheath's strap that was across my shoulder and yanked it away from me. He threw it away from me, out of my reach. "Now there's no one here to save you. Oh, whatever will you do? Poor Katniss. Poor, poor, poor, Katniss Everdeen from the nowhere District. I don't want your death to be painless. I want you to suffer. Why don't I start with..."

   Cato stretched his hand out, down my leg. He took my ankle in his pulpous fist, and bent it in all the wrong directions. The pain was so real, so intense, that it brought me to my senses. I couldn't call out, it was as if someone had their hand to my throat and cut off my breath. Just as I thought I was going to pass out, the pain ceased, Just like that, Cato released his grip. 

   I lifted my face up only to be met by Cato's backside. I quickly let my head slip back into its position on the ground before turning over to find that my sheath is still out of my reach. I silently groaned so Cato wouldn't hear me. I hauled myself off the ground and slowly inched my way over to the sheath of arrows. That's when I realized Cato was facing Thresh, who was now fully awake.

   "Oh, what a petty little alliance! What's in it for you, Thresh? That little girl doesn't have anything to offer you!" Cato's tone began harsh, but then slipped into what sounded like a beg.

   "She's a fighter. Are you? No. Not after you gave up on your own teammate," Thresh kept a straight face.

   "I DIDN'T give  up on her! You KILLED her! Thanks for reminding me why I originally came, by the way. I came to kill YOU!" Cato shot forward and tried to knock Thresh down. Luckily, Thresh saw this coming.

   "Anger won't get you anywhere. Contrary to prior belief, it doesn't give you a surge of adrenaline that helps you. It gets you all worked up, and you can't think straight. Your body collapses on itself, so I suggest staying calm."

   That really ticked Cato off. For the next several minutes, there were words exchanged, attacks and counter attacks, and much mockery. By this time, I had successfully retrieved my sheath of arrows and had an arrow held steady in my lovely bow.

   "You can do this, Katniss..." I whispered silently to myself. Suddenly, Cato and Thresh had both blurred into one. Each was just a blob of color, and I prayed that I would shoot Cato and not Thresh.

   While both Cato and Thresh were exchanging shouts, I sent my arrow flying. I saw a figure sink to the ground, and each of them had stopped screaming. All was silent. I closed my eyes for a few moments. When I opened them, I blinked several times before focusing on the bloody face in front of mine. It was Thresh.

   "That was excellent shooting," Thresh said, out of breath.

   "Thank you," I stammered. I then inspected the bloody boy in front of me.

   Threhs had several minor cuts strewn about his arms and face. The worst of them all came from his forearm, which was suffering from major blood loss. His legs were fine, just a little dirty. He sat down in front of me and laid his head on the ground.

   "Don't lay down," I said "You may lose more blood that way."

   "Do you know a lot about healing?" Thresh asked.

   "Back in District Twelve, my mother is a healer. My sister is also phenomenally gifted at treating wounds. I'm sorry to say that I don't have a true knack for healing, but I know the basics. I know my herbs and plants really well, though."

   "That's good. There's a little stream over there. Think you can help me up?" Thresh lifted his  unharmed arm up to me as I stood up.

   I took his arm and hauled him into an upright position.

   "Thanks."

   "No problem," I mutter. "I'll go and get a water bottle. I'll be right back."

   I dashed back into the little camp area Thresh and I had taken residence in. Right before I was about to sprint back to Thresh, I realized that a cannon hadn't sounded yet.

   "That's odd..." I ran back to Thresh hurriedly. "Did you hear a cannon go off?" I asked Thresh.

   "No... Oh, my gosh. Was he not dead?" as soon as he realized what was happening, Cato came running up to us.

   Instinctively, I reached for my bow, but it was too late. Cato's knife was already soaring through the air, slicing toward Thresh.

***Sorry I haven't been posting on this story as of late, but I've been busy! Lame excuses, yea, I know. I'll try and get better, but for now, enjoy the new chapter!***