Chapter Twenty

Sunday morning. I get up, get dressed. Normal hunting attire. Next stop, my old house in the Seam. Tug on old hunting boots. Grab the game bag; sling it over my shoulder.  Put on my father's warm jacket, despite the oddly warm morning sun. Crawl under the fence. Find a bow. Sit in silence at the usual spot.

   Today, I'm going to be keeping every thought I have to a bare minimum. No complicated versions of myself in nightmares and day'dreams' where I choose to help Peeta first. No thoughts of Gale being upset, angry, or in any other uncomfortable state. No Captiol, no Seam, no Victor's Village, no Hunger Games, and most importantly, no pain.

   I inhale the sweet scent of the woods that I've longed for ever since I returned. I know I could visit the woods everyday, and I soon will, but I've been sick. Whether it's because I am actually not feeling well or if it's because of some mental state I'm in doesn't matter. All that matters now is that I'm back, and everyday I will hunt in the woods, even without Gale, to provide fresh meat for his family. I will trade what's left at the Hob and around town, then give all of that money to them.

   I know that Gale will be upset since he refuses to "accept charity" even though he took care of my mother and Prim the entire time I was in the arena. Did I consider that charity? No.

   I opened my eyes when I heard the barely-audible footsteps I know so well. I look up into his dusty grey eyes and smile. He smiles back.

   "How's it feel to have your old bow back in your hand, Katnip?" Gale helps me up.

   "Perfect. How's it feel to have a friend with you again?" I tease him, though he could get anyone in the entire district to be his friend, girlfriend, or even boyfriend if he asked them to.

   "It sucks."

   I hit his shoulder with my own, and before he starts to protest, I shush him. "You'll scare away all the game!"

   Gale nods and a more serious expression takes over his defined features. I nod once back, and mouth the word: "hunting?"

   Gale nods at me once more, and I can see his hand tighten around the bow in his hand. I tighten my grip, as well. I shrug my shoulders once and duck into the trees, Gale right behind me.

   Before long, we've shot three rabbits, five plucky birds, and an actual buck that tried to attack us.

   "Good game today, isn't there?" Gale held up the three rabbits with one hand.

   "Yeah, and that wild buck attack was pretty fun, right?" I smiled.

   "Absolutely! I bet that we could sell these antlers for a nice shiny penny," Gale smiled and stared at the buck that lay in the grass beside us.

   "Sure, but how do we move it?" I ask.

   "Well, if we really wanted to we could attempt to butcher it ourselves, since that's the only real way to move it."

   "I know you're thinking this too, Gale," I start, "If we do that, then we might not make the right cuts and our biggest buyer would end up being Greasy Sae. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but she doesn't really, you know, pay much for anything. Ever."

   Gale sighed. "Yes, I know. But it's not like we could just shove this guy under the fence or anything, right?"

   "I guess," I reply wearily.

   "So it's decided then. We will chop him into bits!" Gale declared loudly.

   "Yes, but not yet," I say. "First, let's set some traps, and I'd like to go fishing. Then we can just mess around in the water, maybe look for my roots?"