Prologue

Follow me on Instagram @itsmabelz_art to support me as I promote my book and arts (pencil and digital art)

**********

        They say Money makes the     world go round,
       Is that true?
       They say no man is an island
       Prove it?
      They say happiness can be found in one's family,
     Are you sure?

    I had unanswered questions. Life threw me back and forth. Look beyond, I did. To the sky, I sought. However, I must survive. What will mama say? What will papa say?

    I lost my train of thought when Rita groaned. She tried to pull her leather skirt up her thighs but it didn't budge. Another groan rolled out of her mouth before she forcefully pulled the skirt off. She stomped to her full length mirror and eyed her reflection in it.

"Have I added weight?" she asked and made a tsk sound.

"Yes," I replied, still wearing that faint smile that keeps me going.

"Omo! My money is talking!" she burst into one of her iconic dance move. A dance where her butt did most of the movement. She threw one of her leg in the air and it hit the mirror. Another crack was added to the previous design. She always hurt her mirror like that. But I know it never did anything to her.

She turned to me. "Remind me to buy another mirror," she said.

I nodded in reply. I knew she won't buy it. She never spent her money in the cube she called her room and house. I knew I shouldn't speak of our shelter like this. Most especially since she was generous to house me in it. Though the room was not spacious, it would have been more conducive if only Rita was the neat type. She had dirty clothes that are pleading for the touch and the caress of a soaping water.

"I don't think I'll come home tonight," she announced.

"I understand. A true businesswoman you are," I exclaimed.

Rita chuckled and shrugged. She stroked her skin and she stared at her naked figure. "Time to go to work!" she declared and rushed to the black polythene bag on the floor. She clad herself in a black gown. No underwear, I noted. As always!

That's when I remember my current problem – my lack of money! Luckily, I had a shop to do my tailoring business. However, the rent was due and my landlord was ever so willing to have me in his bed. I reject it for myself and my enemy. I rather live in the streets.

But....But....But where could I get a wad of cash at that time? This, the burden of my thought.

I had a clue on what Rita's business might be but I chose to ask, "So what's your business like?"

"My business is promising. That's what I'll say," she responded and with a tap on its can, filled the air with her perfume.

"Like what do you do?"

"Satisfy my customer. It's like every other business. It's just that it's more promising," she said with a smug look on her face. Next, she slid her feet into her heels and rose to her new length. "How do I look?"

In one word, 'indecent'.

"Good" I beamed.

This is when money speaks. Who am I to annoy my shelterer?

"Thanks" she giggled. Though she was on a lowcut, she had a way of surprising me with her long silky wig.

"I need money!" I confessed. "Baba Lolade is asking for his money".