Chapter Four

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.
- Coco Chanel

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Second of January! Still a fighter with a smile on my face this bright, beautiful morning. Determined, I am for success. The radiance of smile never leaves me as I beckon passerby to my shop.

From afar, I see a plump figure of a man. Soon, his pot belly becomes visible and then his face. He reveals his brownish teeth as he draws nearer to me.

"Good morning, Ifunanya" he greets and struts into my shop.

"Good morning, Baba Lolade" I reply with a forced smile.

"How are you today?"

"Very good and you?"

"Me?"

I suppress the urge to roll my eyes. "Yes!"

"I can only be good when you come into my life," he winks his frog-eye.

Eww!

"Haha!" I say dryily.

"How is work?"

"I thank God. At least, I know he is up there helping me. And yours?"

"My work?"

This time I roll my eyes and he sees me do it. Why is this man here?

He let out his throaty laughter and holds his belly. "My work is good, angel!"

"Hmm...." I move around my shop as if searching for something. "Why are you here?" my voice comes out with disdain. I can't hide it. I dislike this old man.

He produces more of his weird laughter and soon, he is right beside me.

"Where is that my green thread sef?" I hop away from him to the next side of the shop.

"Your shop rent is due. You need to pay the bill for this new year or else you will have to leave?"

The thread I had picked earlier, rolls from my hand to the floor. "It is due?"

"Yes! You know I only accept yearly payment. This is a new year. When should I be expecting my money?"

"Your money?"

Now, it's his time to roll his eyes and he makes it obvious just to annoy me. I cringe and suppress a new urge to roll mine.

"Can you give me this month? By next month, the money will be ready. Try to understand. We just entered this year yesterday. Please!" I wail.

"I don't know" he says softly. "Others have paid beforehand. It is remaining you".

"I promise I will pay"

"Oh no, darling! You don't need to stress yourself. You can pay another way," he groans and lustfully rivets his eyes on me.

"Huh?" I ask, playing dumb.

He scurry to me and grips my arm. He takes in sharp breath of me and exhales, his smelly breathe fanning my nostrils.

"Let go of me, sir!" I say levelly.

"You know my address na! Tonight is for me and you," his wet tongue rolls around his lip. "I want dinner to be served by you".

"And what if I don't come?" I yell and with one push, he falls to the ground.

He groans in pain and mumbles curses in Yoruba."If you don't come tonight, just pack your things out of my shop!"

"And if I have the money tomorrow?"