Chapter Twenty

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
                         – Jeremiah 29:11

    ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

My phone rings again. I'm sure it's Sandra. I sigh. I give up. I've searched everywhere I can. There is no place for me to spend the night. The moon is out, as well as the stars. Mother Earth and my body are telling me to rest. They know I've exhausted myself today and sincerely, I just want to sleep. I drag my feet further down the lonely street. My ringtone blasts again and I pull my phone out of my pocket. I have up to two hundred missed calls. Why did Sandra never give up on calling me? Why did Aaron care enough to call? Who am I to Mrs Yemi that she will call and send every text messages she could?

I sigh and place my phone to my ear. "Hello?"

Sandra's sob is what I hear at the other end. It's like she is crying an ocean out. "You scared me to death," she cries. "You scared me to death, Ifunanya. Why?"

I open my mouth but my words stop mid-way as a sob makes its way out. My eyes finally, after a long time, brim with tears. They roll down my cheek and I am grateful that I'm finally crying. People always say it's not best to bottle up your emotions. I agree with them.

"Did she pick her call?" Aaron's voice booms into my ears.

"Yes"

"Miss Ifunanya Dora James!" he yells and I can already imagine my ears bleeding. "Young woman, we have been searching for you. Where are you right now?"

I couldn't reply. I'm still busy with my silent sobs.

"Are you there?" he barks and I lean away from my phone to save my ears.

"Aaron, calm down!" Sandra sobs out.

"I can't. We have been searching and calling her since. Why is she picking now and where is she?"

I wipe my cheeks and share my address with them. Aaron scowls and says, "Don't you dare leave that place. I swear, if you do, I'll end you".

My eyes are about to pop out of their sockets as I stare at my phone. He had cut the call too.

I dare not move so I stand still. For a whole twenty minutes, Strangers would walk pass me, staring to figure if I were a human, a man made stature or probably a girl that some inexistent god turn to stone. It's a crazy experience though.

Aaron arrives later and he isn't please with me. He stomps to me and growls, "Get into the car now. I hope you have cure for the massive headache you have caused us. I don't blame you. I blame myself for leaving my office to search for you. Nonsense. What even gives you the audacity to ignore my call? Are you mad ni?"

I'm shocked by his words. His aura reeks of sheer anger and I'm frightened by it.

"Go into car," he barks and raises his hand. I bend quickly just in case he is about to slap me. My eyes are shut as I lower to my knees. "What are you doing?" he asks in confusion.

Still shielding myself with my arms, I say "Don't hit me please".

"Hit you?" his voice lowers. I feel his hand on my arm and I scurry away from him...just in case. I raise my eyes to meet his gaze and he stares at me in disbelief. "Do you think I'm an abusive man? Why would I hit you? I know you had a hard time today. I'm just angry you ignored all our calls since afternoon".

"I....I...I..." I stammer and rise to my feet, my body trembling in fear. Flashes of my past and how I've always been slapped by uncle causes goosebumps on my body and imagining Aaron doing the same – a cold shiver runs down my spine. "I don't know. The word abusive isn't written on someone's forehead".

He grits his teeth and crosses his arms over his chest. "Wait! Do you see me as an abusive man?"

"I don't trust any man anymore. You can be. All men can be. I don't even know why you are helping me. I don't even know if there is an ulterior motive. If there is, just know I will never sell my body to you no matter how much you invest in my business"

He takes a step closer to me and I hop backwards, my hands balled into fists as I'm ready for defense. He shakes his head and sighs.

"So this is how you see me? You dare to insult me like this, Miss Dora? What am I doing with your body?"

"All men are animals and I know that. Women are just toys. I know that. Please, stop helping me because I know you don't have a good intention. Everyone is selfish in this world. Until I see someone as selfless as Jesus was in the past, I rather not trust".

"What's going on here?" Sandra asks.

I eye her skeptically. "I don't even trust you too".

"Ify, come with me. You can stay in my place," she dashes to my side and grips my travelling bag. I push her away.

"No! I don't want to trust. I just want to be alone. At least, I won't get hurt. I won't have to fake happiness. All is over and I just want to be alone. That's why I didn't call you. I just want to be alone. I can sort things out myself. From the beginning of my life, there has never been joy. I should accept that fact. I'm tired. I'm tired. I'm just too tired. Please, leave me. I'm tired of all the pain I have to bear. I came to Lagos with hope that all will be good. All is not good. Everything is just as bad as my past. It's just as bad as my past. I'm tired. From child abuse to poverty. What's this? From forced labor to endless failure? What's wrong with my life? Why is fate cruel with me? Why is God allowing this to happen to me? Is it because I don't serve Him enough? I have apologized. I thought they said He is a forgiving God. What's going on? Why are these things happening to me?"

Sandra quickly wipes off the tears streaming down her cheeks and pulls me into a tight hug I can't free myself from. "I'm here for you. I will always be here for you".

"Child abuse, forced labor...." Aaron's voice trails off. He stares at me as if he could feel my pain and I see sadness cloud his eyes too. I shut my eyes immediately.

"I don't want sympathy, Sandra. Leave me alone," I scream and try to free myself. Strangers begin to gather to watch what's going on. I'm trying to free myself but she wouldn't budge. I relax into her embrace weakly and cry my eyes out. I don't know what happened after that but I find myself in a large bed the next time my eyes open. It's still late in the night as Sandra feeds me dinner. She gives me a painkiller since I have headache and I go back to sleep hoping and praying for better days.

Why? Because my God says he knows the plans he has for me. Maybe I've been doing it all wrong. I haven't really asked for God's will to be done in my life. It's time to construct my prayer towards His will and purpose for me. I can't give up. My parents won't want that. I still have faith in God despite their death because my parents has always taught me from an early age to have faith in God. He may be mysterious but He is loving. I will try to walk in that faith. I'll just keep trying. I can do, can't I? With God all things are possible, right?

A/N: Thanks for reading. I really appreciate. Leave comments and pls vote! ( ˘ ³˘)♥☺️☺️

 Leave comments and pls vote! ( ˘ ³˘)♥☺️☺️