Chapter One

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very Often, it's the place where we find the deepest heartache.
                          - Iyanla Vanzant

          ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

So far.....I still haven't been able to tell what I have experience without shedding a tear.

I sighed and drew my knees closer to my chest. I pressed my back to the wall and placed my aching head on my knees. In my agony, my tears soaked the jeans I wore. "Mum! Dad! Why did you leave me? Why did you leave me in the hands of monsters?"

My sobs echoed in the empty store that I hid in. I needed solace and this room gave me that.

I had missed another utme exam. Thanks Uncle! Thanks Aunt! And...Goodbye University. There wasn't a ray of hope for me. No first degree for me! I was in despair.

I groaned and bit my arm.

What else could I do but cry? I didn't know a way to escape from my agony so I cried. Beside crying was also a waste of my energy, no one would hear me. No one could save me! This was my thought then.

Suddenly, the door slam opened and my aunt's figure hovered at the entrance. She hissed and with large strides, arrived beside me.

"You bastard!" Her voice thundered. She held my ear and pulled me to my feet. "Didn't I say you should wash the plates?"

"Ouch...." I cried. "I'm coming. I will do it".

"You will do it?" She yelled and slapped me. "When? Eh? The audacity of this child! So you will decide when you will do the work I gave to you? Abi?"

"No ma," I replied and stared at the ground.

I dared not look into her eyes. I mighy just sign my death wish.

"As per madam na! I will send you message and you will tell me when you will do it. Wow," she exclaimed and clapped her hand. "The Queen!"

Her husband rushed into the room and gasped when he sees the rage burning in his wife's eyes. "Honey, calm down! This girl is not worth your energy".

"No oo! I will cut that her wings!" The woman declared, used her elbow to hit my face and then, grabbed me by my neck. Her husband ran to us and quickly disentangled her hands from me.

"Let's go!" He said. "She will wash the plates. Let's go!"

"Leave me! This girl is so rude! Leave me!" she cried as he pulled her by her hand out of the room.

Luck was on my side and that moment but it ran away later on. I thought she would leave another mark on my skin. Who should I thank for this grace?

I let out a hiss and strolled out of the room.

As I sauntered into the living room, one of their children, Samuel, jogged to me and slapped my thigh. The six-year-old boy frowned and like a dictator ordered me to prepare his favorite cereal. I cringed. The audacity of this child.

I looked up and I saw his father had his eyes on me.

"He is hungry. Go and prepare it,"  his father commanded and I spotted the smug smile on the boy's face.

I went to the kitchen and my anger boiled as I see that it was only two plates that were on the sink and the wicked witch was slapping me.

May that my cruel family reap the evil they sow in my life.