Chapter Seven

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

    Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

                         – Francis of Assisi

        ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"Amanda, why that frown?" Samson asks Miss grumpy. She shrugs and casts me a sidelong glance.

I ignore her as we go to the bakery. We arrive at the shop. It's a rented flat of a building. There is a large wooden label that says "Ms Sara's bakery". We go in and we are in a place that seems like a reception room. Samson beckons I sit on the bench and leaves the room with Amanda. I hear some strange voices from within and the smell of freshly baked bread floods the room. The door opens and a man walks out with Amanda. He looks to be in his late fifties and is average in height. He is darker than Amanda in complexion but they both have the same nose shape– broad and flat.

"Good afternoon sir" I greeted.

"Good afternoon," he stretched his hand to me. I ignore the handshake. He is offended by the his but draws his hand to his side and shoves it into his pocket. Everyone should get used to the fact that is not all girls that are comfortable with shaking strangers' hands. "I am Mr Yema. I own this bakery. You are?"

"Ifunanya Dora James," I say clearly.

He smiles in appreciation and nods. "I hear you are interested in our job offer".

"Yes, I am"

"Hmm...." he mumbles and glances at Amanda. "Can you call your mother for me?"

"Yes. I'll be back" she spins and goes in through the door. Mr Yema stays silent and I also do the same. Three minutes later, a woman strides in. She must be Mrs Yema.

"Good afternoon ma"

"Afternoon. How are you!"

"I'm fine. Thank you ma"

"Oh okay! About the job, you'll be working in the kitchen as well as doing the cleanup of the environment. Can you handle that?"

"Yes, of course!"

"I wanted to employ a cleaner and then someone to assist in the kitchen"

"I can bake. I have been baking cakes, bread and lot more for years. I can handle any cleaning job too"

You might wonder the reason. I'll tell you. My aunt labored me. I baked and I did house chores for years. I never had time for myself because they never made the work in the house finish. I was the slave they used to do all their work.

"Hmmm...." Mr Yemi clears his throat. "The salary is not huge. The pay is low and that's because our business isn't making much sales for now. We pray for improvement that way we can pay you more".

"Alright"

"Let me take you around so you can see the work cut out for you"

"Okay ma"

That's when I get to go into the mystery door. It leads me into a corridor where is three wooden door. I do a little adventure with Mrs Yemi and open each door ajar to peep in. The first one leads me to the front of the building that has a glass window. The breads are lined up on the shelves. The second leads to the kitchen and the third door reveals the store room. The place is not as big as my aunt's place so the work seems easy for me.

"I'll start my work today," I say as we enter the kitchen. Mrs Yemi smiles and goes to get some cleaning equipment. I am standing an arm-length away from the kitchen door.