Chapter Eighteen

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Life is about how much you can take and keep fighting, how much you can suffer and keep moving forward.

                            - Anderson Silva

    ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"You look different," Simon tells me as I'm walking out of the class. I ignore him and then, I hear his footsteps behind me. I stop and turn to him.

"Can I help you?"

He chuckles. "Yes! Can you give me your number?"

"You want to have Zebra girl's number?"

"Ah ahan! You know I didn't join them to insult you na"

"Wo... I'm still not giving you my number. What do you want to do with it?"

"Ritual," he replies with a nod.

I raise a brow.

"Ode! I wan chat with you later"

"Oh!" I stand upright and eye him. "Do I look like some unfortunate girl that wants to have your number? As you see my level like this, I don't settle for less. Therefore, mumu boys are not allowed".

His eyes go round. "As if you know any guy as good-looking as me," he scoffs.

"I'm sure you are aware that I know Mr Aaron Ibe. Apart from the fact that he is far handsome than you, he has money and has determination for greatness. You are just here wasting your parents' money".

His mouth drops.

"Let me also inform you that I am older than you so I rather go for a sensible man than an immature boy"

"Wait first oo! It's just number I asked for oo. It's not like I asked you out"

"Well... I'm telling you that I rather give my number to someone sensible. Full stop"

He narrows his eyes at me. Darkness clouds them as he towers me with his height.

"Mtcheww!" I hiss and walk away.

Tutorial has been going great and my business too. Students in the tutorial had recognized my skill and they all ordered unique styles of dresses from me. Sale has been booming because as they slay their outfits their friends rush to me for theirs too. Aaron and Sandra were right. These children are from a wealthy background that has affected my business positively. As for the girls with low esteem, I formed a group where I meet them both physically and online to give them all I know about building your esteem. I know I don't know much but I try to learn. I feel if I keep talking about it and supporting it that I'll achieve it. Things has been going really well and I won't deny that. I have been smiling alot. Precious has been doing her best to beat my fashion sense but she hasn't been able to do that. It is quite comical seeing her throwing colors together just to look flashy. Reading has been going well too. I still believe hardwork pays.

Just walking into the class, I bump into Precious.

"Are you blind?" she barks.

I gasp. "I should be asking you that. Probably your artificial long lashes are messing with your sight".

She stares at me with disbelief. She wants to walk away but I stand in her way. "I'm older than you but I will be generous and advice you. I've noticed that you are trying to beat my fashion sense but you are doing it the wrong way. Who told you going all indecent in your dressing is the best way to win a fashion contest? You are revealing too much and it's making your value drop. Not that I want to judge you or I'm judging you. No oo. It's just that the way you dress gives people the impression that you are open for harassment. The way you dress has hundred percent impact on how you are perceived or treated. Guys are seeing what they aren't meant to see. You are beautiful, yes I know that but they are some parts of your body that's left for the special man that comes to your life in the future. You exposing your body can cause boys to commit sins in their head. Also, you are at a risk when you expose your body. You don't know who is watching you. A drug addict can be watching and plotting how to rape you. It's the truth. Also, boys shouldn't be in your head right now. I know your parents are rich but don't you wish to be an independent woman in the future? To actualize that dream, you need to start now. You need to focus on your studies. Leave boys and focus on your books".

"I don't need your advice," she snaps at me. "Who says boys are in my head? Mid your business, amebo! I can dress how I want to. Gerrout".

"Okay! No wahala. Also, please stop discriminating. You aren't perfect you know. Every girl is beautiful in their own way. Rather than destroy their self-esteem, try to boost it. Thank you," I tell her and she scoffs at my words. I glare at her at once and she does the same. She growls and storms off.

I roll my eyes. It's not all that are wise though. I won't bother myself on her matter.

"It's time for chemistry oo" Some yells and we all settle down for class. Just when the teacher walks in, my phone rings. I quickly pick it out and cut the call. I glance at the caller ID 'Mrs Yemi'. I sigh.

"I'm sure she will understand that I'm in class," I mumble and nod my head.

Just when the teacher had began to talk, my ringtone shrieks in the silent room. I quickly pull out my phone from my back and cut the call. I mute my phone and whisper an apology to the teacher glaring at me. He nods and resumes his lecture. My phone vibrates in my hand and I glare at it.

"Why is Mrs Yemi still calling?"

Immediately, I text her. I'm in class, ma. She replies at once telling me that it's urgent.

"Excuse me sir," I voice and he snaps his head to my direction. He wasn't wearing a friendly expression as he glower at me. "Can I please pick this call? It's urgent. I will be back, sir".

He nods and I leave their midst. I pick the call and Mrs Yemi's quivering voice echoes as she calls my name. "Ifunanya"

"Ma?"

"Your shop," she chokes out as though she has been crying.

"What happened to it?"

"My dear...." she trails off.

"Yes?"

"Ifu-na-nya!" she calls the syllables of my name.

"Ma?"

"Your shop is burning. I don't know how else to stop it. We have been doing our best"

"WHAT!" I scream.

She begins to sob while I try to process her words. At last, I mutter, "Is it still burning?"

"Yes"

I cut the call and race into the class. I pack my things and rush out without even glancing at the teacher. I dash out the main door with the receptionist calling out to me. I get into a tricycle and head to my shop. The moment I get there, my heart squeezes. I wish I'm dreaming. I pray I'm dreaming. This can't be real. I run to it and I'm about to enter the burning fire when a man stops me, his tight grip on my arm. My shop isn't the only one burning. Women and men are wailing about theirs too.

I'm screaming and pleading to go in. "Let me try and save some things. Please, let me go. I have money in there. I have clothes in there that I want to give to my customers. I have so many brand new materials. Please, let me go".

He doesn't. I'm held till the fire stops and when he lets me go, I drop to the floor. My shop is in ashes and I know nothing survived. What can survive such a fiery fire? I don't move. I just kneel and keep staring at my burnt dreams. Not a single tear is in my eyes. I'm just numb. That's how I should be, numb.

A/N: Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Don't forget to Vote and comment. Thanks 💃♥️

 Thanks 💃♥️