CHAPTER SIX

TIME OUT

DAHLIAH

THE NEXT MORNING

My eyes gently opened. As I expected Koa was gone by the morning. I glanced at Takoda to make sure he was sleeping alright. He was hugging his stuffed bear calmly. Half an hour later it was time for us to get up and get dressed. We wore matching black denim jeans and a simple blue long sleeve fitted shirt. Koa had made a new exception to the dress code and aloud Takoda and I to wear variations of blue. Saying it was the family's honorary color. But he also warned us to never wear red. It was the color of the family's enemies.

I placed my curls back in a high ponytail as I walked with Takoda to the dining table. After we had eaten breakfast together it was time for him to get to his studies. I watched once again as Takoda walked away from me reluctantly. I sat at the table in my thoughts, while drinking the tea they had made me. When I finally asked,

"Hey, Asashi?"He turned around.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Can I ask? What exactly...does the HEBI...do?"He looked at me and paused.

"I am unaware if I am able to give you that information ma'am. On account of we are not sure how long you will be staying here."He explained.

"Oh, I understand."I looked away.

"However, if Sir Koa decides that it is acceptable for you to know then I will let you know right away ma'am."He nodded.

"Oh, okay, thanks."I replied. When suddenly as Asashi flipped through his papers in his clipboard, I asked,

"Can I have a piece of paper from there? Please? I have a Japanese character in mind and I don't know what it means."

"Of course ma'am."He ripped out a sheet and handed me a pen. I slowly drew it out of memory. I showed him the symbol:

"...I see. I asume this means you've seen Sir Koa's traditional markings?"I nodded.

"What does it mean?"

"Snake."He responded.

"You said it was traditional?"

"Yes ma'am. It is no secret that ever head of the HEBI group, or the family, has this tattoo on their back. A symbol of their association and commitment."

"...I see."I whispered. This was all becoming more serious than what I had expected. Well, what exactly was I expecting?

"You seem frightened ma'am. I assure you, Sir Koa has no intention of harming you."He assured me.

"Does he...harm other people?"I asked. I'm sure Asashi knew what I meant.

"I believe this is a conversation best saved for you and Sir Koa some other time ma'am. My apologies."He bowed.

"No it's fine. I understand."Asashi began to walk away but suddenly stopped to turn around and mentioned.

"I almost forgot ma'am. Young Sir Takoda will be leaving this afternoon, after his studies, with Sir Koa."

"Oh, okay."I replied. I then looked away and soon became lost in thought.