CHAPTER THIRTEEN

BULLIES

KOA

I took in the surroundings of the large area on the rooftop. I bounced Koda in my lap to keep him occupied till Dahliah came back. Actually, the real reason was that I was anxiously waiting for her to return to us. The moment I lost her in the crowd I was on high alert.

(*In Japanese)

"What are you worrying about son?"My mother asked from her seat next to me. I stopped shaking my leg and my eyes widened when I realized something.

"Where is Kohari?"I exclaimed worriedly.

"Oh, I saw her leave the table a little while ago."She asked again if I was worried about something.

"Please, take care of Koda. I'll be back."I gently handed him to her and she took him into her lap happily.

"Daddy?"He asked confused.

"I'll be right back, okay? I'm gonna go get mommy. Behave for grandma, okay?"He nodded and I sprinted down the steps.

(*In English)

RUSH

I tried to be professional as I dashed around asking if anyone had seen Dahliah. Eventually, I found her with Kohari's  arm wrapped around her. Flashbacks tried to make me lose my train of thought, but I wouldn't let them.

Snatch

Glare

I gripped my sister's thin wrist and pulled it away from Dahliah holding it above her head. She snatched it out of my grip and we glared at each other.

"Oh, hey Koa. I was just about to come back."She whispered up to me. I hissed at my siblings.

"What the hell is going on here?"I spoke seriously.

"Oh lay off. We're just trying to have fun at this boring event. Right Dahliah?"Kohari suggested. I didn't let her answer and asked Keamon,

"What was the plan this time?"I asked.

"Leave to go drinking, "Keamon told.

SHOVE

"You loser! How could you tell on me?!"Kohari shoved him and even with his large size (similar to Koa) she shook him a bit.

"Kohari."My brother and I crossed out arms and looked at my younger sister in disappointment.

"Oh, don't look at me like that. I'm just trying to get her out of that stuffy house. Let her have some fun! You need to let her go to the clubs in the city with me."

"Kohari, stop."Keamon suggested.

"Oh please. You know as much as I do that she should be living her life to the fullest before—."She stopped herself when she saw the tears in Dahliah's eyes.

PUSH

Dahliah shoved herself away from me and ran for it. I called for her and tried to run after her. But when I couldn't see her I turned around and stormed back over to my sister.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!"I growled through my teeth. She reached her hands out.

"I—I'm sorry. I am. I—I wasn't thinking. I just—."She became distraught also suddenly beginning to look around for Dahliah.

"Goddamn it!"I exclaimed before dashing back into the crowd and calling my men to find her.

DAHLIAH

I lifted my blue dress as I tried to make it back up the stairs to Takoda. But someone stopped me in my tracks.

"And what do you think you're doing?"It was Koa's father.

"Sir Hebi. I'm just trying to get back up to Takoda."He sighed and I looked at him confused.

"Look at you. You're rushing around trying to maintain this professional look for everyone. Including my son. I know my grandson thinks you're his mother, but your just not, and quite frankly you're just not made for this kind of environment. You're even wearing the family colors. For what?Go home, Dahliah."He explained rudely and suddenly some of his men began to aggressively drag me.

"Mommy? Mommy! MOMMY!!"Takoda shouted trying to pull out of Koa's mother's lap.

The men hauled me into one of the elevators and wouldn't let me go until we made it to the bottom floor. They shoved me out and quickly left back up the shaft without me.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I banged on the door and tried to find someone to access the locked elevators. But no one was there. Every door I tried to open was locked now. That's when I realized they must have shut down the whole building for this party.

How am I gonna get back to Takoda?

"..." I sighed. I eventually found a chair to sit in and glanced down at Takoda's juice box that I still in my hand.

I couldn't call anyone because I left my phone in my purse at the table. I would have to wait till the party was over. But, I guess for me, it was over a long time ago. Who was I trying to fool? Koa's father's words ring in my head like an annoying morning alarm. But, I couldn't help but think he was right.

I changed my whole life for them: I've tried my best to be a good mother figure for Takoda, I wore new clothes to fit their dress codes, I went to a completely different country, etc.

For what? So I could be treated like a toy that they used up and are finally ready to throw out? I was never gonna be Takoda's real mother. Once he realizes I'm not his mom, the whole Hebi family will have chewed me up and spit me out. Back into the water, where I belonged.

Silence

TO BE CONTINUED...