CHAPTER EIGHT

BLANKY

DAHLIAH

THE NEXT EVENING

I sat at the table alone with Takoda while we ate dinner. As usual Koa was not there so I though I was going to be fine for the rest of the night.

"Hi daddy!"Takoda smiled when his father kissed him as usual. I let him kiss me but I ended as soon as it began. Koa took his usual seat across the table however switching it up to sit in front of me. Honestly I did my best to ignore him.

"Koda?"He asked and he looked up,

"I want you to promise me when we go to the family event this weekend you will behave, okay? Can you do that for daddy?"

"NO!"He crossed his arms. Koa sighed.

"Why not?"

"I wanna go wit mommy!"He exclaimed dropping his utensils and crossing his arms. I turned to him and pursed my lips before smiling and saying,

"It's okay Koda. I'll be here when you get back."I lied. Well, I guess I wasn't sure if it was a lie. It's just that I'm not sure if I'll be here when he gets back. They might have gotten rid of me by then.

"But, mommy and daddy and Koda are family. We go to family party together."He said saddened. I nodded.

A family?

"...but mommy can't go this time."

"Maybe...you should come...For Koda."Koa suddenly mentioned. But I knew it was because he was becoming annoyed.

"No no it's fine. If I'm not supposed to go then I won't intrude. Sorry Koda." He began to cry loudly and I tried to calm him down by apologizing but it wasn't working.

"Look what you've done now."Koa rolled his eyes standing up. I glared at him as I picked Takoda up and soothed him. Eventually like most children he tired himself out from all his crying. He wouldn't let go of me for the life of him, so I placed him in our room and laid us gently on our shared bed.

LATE AT NIGHT

I sighed watching Takoda sleep soundly. I couldn't find myself tired so I just laid in bed curled up with him silently. It hadn't been long when the door suddenly gently opened. I ignored it think it was Koa.

"Ma'am?"They called out quietly.

"Asashi?"I calmly slipped myself out of Takoda's grip and headed outside the room to talk with him.

"What is it Asashi?"

"Ma'am, I just thought that you should know...what ever Sir Koa says to you, you are valued here. At least, by me. I thought it may give a slight piece of mind to know that everyone here appreciates you."He explained pushing his glasses higher up on his face.

"Asashi, that's so nice of you to say."I hugged him tightly and genuinely.

"We really do like having you around Miss. I am telling the truth. I would never lie to you."He said into my ear. I chuckled nervously.

"Well, goodnight Miss. Sleep well."He bowed respectfully and we parted ways. I sighed happily and with hope of things getting better. They have to, right?

"Why have you been avoiding me?"Koa suddenly hissed from behind me.

Shock

"You won't even look at me."He continued.

"Koa, how long have you been there—?"I asked still shock up at his sudden presence.

"Long enough."He stared down at me in frustration. I sighed,

"Don't stand there and act like you care about me, Koa. Takoda's the child, not me."I crossed my arms.

"I'm not acting Dahliah."He explained and I finally looked him in the eyes.

"You only care about me because of Takoda. If he never insisted that I was his mother, you would have killed me on that bridge before I would've done it myself."My tears spilled out without my control, but quickly wiped them away. I turned around hastily trying not bring back old ugly memories.

"Dahliah...what did you...just say?"I tried to walk back into the room.

Grab

"No. What did you just say?"He held my shoulder like a ball and chain. I finally let out,

"...Haven't you ever wondered...why I was on that bridge that day?"I asked letting my arm, that was wiping my tears, fall to my sides. I said lastly,

"Well, now you know—."

EMBRACE

He hugged me tightly from behind, laying his head on my shoulder. The moment replaying in my head dramatically. I was so angry at him, but this embrace made me become even more sad, as well as angry. Still couldn't quite bring myself to hug him back. That's when,

Drip drip

"We were...visiting my wife Chante's burial sight that day. When Takoda saw the grave he ran away. He ran away...to you."He was crying. Koa was crying.

"K...Koa?"He was silent. Only hugging me tighter. Just like Takoda was not long ago.

"I don't know what could have happened to him that day. I'm...glad that he found someone. I'm glad that someone was you, Dahliah. I truly am."I heard my heavy tears fall onto the tile.

"K—Koa. Please don't lie to me. Are you going to replace me one of these days? Huh?"I asked bitting my lip harshly. Waiting for an answer no matter what it was.

"Dahliah..I—."

"—Mommy?"Takoda sleepily stroked out of our room.

"Oh, I—I'm sorry, baby. Do you want mommy to sleep with you?"I asked squatting down to his level.

"Mommy...don't cry anymore. Please. Daddy stop making mommy cry."He asked whipping my tears.

"I don't know. I am a bit of a crybaby."I fake smiled playfully and he slightly shook his head no. Koa suddenly took a seat on the floor. Crossing his long legs.

"Look Koda, daddy's a crybaby too."He pointed to his drying tear streams.

"Oh! Don't cry daddy. Don't cry mommy."He put both his hands on our faces. Takoda suddenly yawned and Koa whispered,

"Let's got to bed, okay? It's late."He began to stroll towards his room. I was confused watching him walk away. He looked back and motioned me along. It felt like he was finally inviting me into world.

TO BE CONTINUED...