9 | bakugo gives a pep-talk and the child doesn't run off crying

Stretches were something Y/n didn't particularly like, but she knew she couldn't avoid it. She started out of boredom, since she was waiting for her training-buddies — Bakugo had told her not to call them that ever again — to arrive at her house.

She stood up when the doorbell rang and was about to walk there normally when she heard a loud, ''I'll get it!''

Her eyes widened and she sprinted, crashing into the person and the two of them falling on the ground, having collided with such speed. She looked up and noticed the boy already getting up, activating his Quirk and twisting the doorknob.

''Hello—'' Kirishima cut himself off when he saw Y/n on the ground, in the backround. Both boys looked down, seeing a little boy standing on the door. ''Oh, uh, hi?''

''Hello! Are you Y/n's boyfriend?'' the boy asked, looking at Kirishima.

Kirishima's cheeks turned the same shade of red as his hair as his eyes widened. He gave an awkward smile. ''Oh, uh, no. I'm her friend.''

The boy nodded, then looked at the other boy. ''Then you're her boyfriend!''

''Hell no, as if I'd date this clutz.'' Bakugo scoffed.

Y/n got up from the ground and glared at her brother. ''I don't even have a boyfriend,'' Y/n said and sighed, looking at the two boys. ''Sorry, this is my little brother, Kai. He's gonna stay at home while we train.''

''Don't say that as if I'm an annoyance,'' Kai complained, looking up at his sister.

''I'm saying that because you are an annoyance.'' Y/n rolled her eyes. ''Anyway, sorry to keep you out, come on in.'' Kirishima awkwardly entered the house, while Bakugo walked in as if he owned the place. Despite that, he took his shoes off and put them neatly to the side. Respectfully. Y/n wanted to chuckle.

The three teenagers went over to the backyard, where Y/n had been previously training at. Before she could close the door, Kai slipped outside.

''Kai, go back inside.'' Y/n groaned.

''It's alright, if he wants to watch he can,'' Kirishima said. Y/n sighed and closed the door, letting her younger brother outside. Kai used his Quirk, taking a few speedy laps around the backyard, leaving an orange trail behind himself, before sitting on the grass cross-legged.

''I suspect playing tag is fun for you two." Kirishima laughed.

Y/n laughed. ''No one likes to play tag with us because of our Quirks.''

''Can we just start?'' grumbled Bakugo.

Y/n and Kirishima looking away, both having forgotten for a second that Bakugo was there due to his silence. The two nodded and the three decided to stretch first.

The first thing they did after warming up was a two-on-one match, with Y/n and Bakugo continuously attacking Kirishima, while the he was in his hardened form.

Y/n ran in circles to gather energy to use to strengthen her attacks, while Bakugo immediately started throwing explosions at Kirishima. Even Kai joined the three, using a similar tactic as his sister's.

"HEY! KEEP IT DOWN WITH THE EXPLOSIONS, WILL YOU?"

Y/n jumped slightly at her neighbor's voice. "SORRY, MRS. TSUKISHIMA!"

After that they decided to simply spar. The first ones to go were Bakugo and Y/n, Kirishima sitting that one out. When the two finished, Kirishima went to spar with Y/n.

Bakugo took a seat next to Kai, observing the sparring duo.

"Your Quirk is really cool," Kai spoke in a small voice.

"What was that, squirt?" Bakugo asked as he looked down at Kai.

"I said that your Quirk is really cool," Kai repeated, looking up at the blond. "I wish I had a strong Quirk like yours."

"What's up with your Quirk?" questioned Bakugo. "Isn't your Quirk the same as the speedster?"

"Yeah, but it's not nearly as strong as hers. I won't be able to become a hero with such a weak Quirk." Kai sighed.

"You do realize she worked hard to get where she is now, right?" Bakugo said. "Any Quirk is weak until you make it strong."

"What do you mean?" Kai cocked an eyebrow.

"That you have to work on your Quirk to make it strong. You're like, what, five?"

"Seven."

"Exactly. You haven't had your Quirk for long, have you?" Kai shook his head. "From what I've seen, you already have very good control over your powers. Just keep that up and keep getting better, and you'll be strong and be able to become a hero."

Kai looked at his feet, as if deep in thought. Bakugo could only wonder what was going through a seven-years-old's head after such a conversation, and Bakugo hoped that conversation helped him.

"Bakugo, it's your turn to spar with Kirishima!" Y/n said as she plopped on Kai's other side. Bakugo nodded and stood up, looking down at Kai one last time.

"Don't loose hope, squirt."

Y/n rose an eyebrow as Bakugo walked over to Kirishima. "Loose hope? What's he talking about?" Y/n asked.

"Noting," Kai said and simply watched the older boys spar. Y/n was still suspicious, so she made a mental note to talk to Bakugo about it later. "Bakugo's extremely cool. I like him."

That confused Y/n even more.

———

Y/n, Bakugo and Kirishima stood at the door, Y/n sending the two boys off. What her brother said earlier still bothered her, so she asked Bakugo to stay behind for a moment.

"What did you talk about with Kai? He doesn't want to tell me," Y/n asked, leaning on the door frame.

"Squirt was insecure about his Quirk so I reassured him," Bakugo shrugged, causing Y/n's eyes to widen.

"What?" Y/n didn't believe it. Why hadn't Kai talked to her about it? They had the same Quirk.

"He's probably better now, though," Bakugo said. "I have to fucking go now." He turned around, ready to leave.

"Wait, Bakugo."

"Hm?" He turned around to look at her.

"Thanks," Y/n said. "For talking with him."

"No fucking problem."

Y/n chuckled as she watched him go, then closed the door.