51 | katsuki's pep-talks strike again (thanks, bakugo)

Kirishima didn't come back for a while and when he finally did, he fell asleep, leaving Y/n alone with her thoughts. She replayed the mission in her mind, how she'd branched off from the others and gotten separated, how those two villains had almost gotten the better of her.

And what was the point of everything she'd done? Nothing, in the grand scheme of things. She hadn't impacted the fight at all, didn't help save Eri or stop Kai Chisaki. If anything, she was most likely a burden to everyone as they had to look for her through whatever had been left of the house. The pictures she'd seen weren't pretty, she was surprised she was still alive and her body wasn't buried under debris.

She couldn't believe the villain had managed to get the better of her with his mind tricks, that she'd fallen for them so easily. They'd prepared them for these kind of scenarios in U.A. and yet she'd forgotten everything she'd learned in the span of seconds. What a Pro Hero she was going to be.

The door to their room slid open and Y/n finally managed to pry her eyes away from the window. Looking back, she noticed Miruko walking in with her usual dangerous grin, as well as a plastic bag in her hand. She was dressed in civilian clothes, though her ears still stuck up high.

"Oh! There you are !" Miruko exclaimed in a loud voice, then her eyes fell on Kirishima's bandaged body. She winced and lowered her voice. "Sorry. Ha, Sonic, you're awake!"

Y/n chuckled at Miruko's enthusiasm and managed to sit up in her bed despite the aches in her body. "Yeah, I've been awake for a while now."

"That's good." Miruko placed the plastic bag on top of Y/n's bedside table. The logo of a restaurant stood out. Y/n's stomach rumbled. "I brought you some food since I know how bad hospital food can be, even for heroes."

Heroes. Hero. Y/n wanted to scoff, but she held it back. Instead, she managed a tired smile. "Thanks, Miruko."

"No worries, kid." Miruko said as she pulled up a chair and sat down. "I wanted to talk about what happened at Chie Hassaikai's."

Y/n took a breath and looked at her fingers twiddling in her lap. "I'm so sorry for disregarding your orders and getting separated. I know that was wrong—"

"Wrong? Kid, you took down two strong villains by yourself. There's nothing wrong about that," Miruko suddenly cut her off.

Huh? Y/n furrowed her brows and looked at Miruko. "But I didn't really help. I knocked myself out at the end."

"And you took down two villains with you. Honestly, it was more than any of us expected out of the interns."

Y/n didn't believe her. Not when she'd heard about Takami's own fight, how Ochako and Tsuyu had held their own, too. About Mirio's sacrifice and Deku and Kirisihima's strength. Her peers had done much more than her in this fight. Miruko didn't need to spare her feelings.

"Right." She didn't want to argue, not when she was in pain, hungry, tired and just wanted to go home and sulk. "Thank you for the food."

Miruko seemed to sense Y/n's sour mood because her face softened as she stood up. "Hold your head high, kid. Great things await you. I'll call you when I need you back in the agency, so keep your phone nearby, 'kay?"

Y/n nodded and watched as Miruko left, letting Y/n wallow in her own pity again.

———