꩜ Chapter 3 ꩜

Mattheo's POV 

To put it simply, I was bored. I had nothing better to do and while I didn't really need the education, Riddle house was starting to get a bit dull. I thought coming to this school would help cure my boredom or at least give me something to do. It fit in with my fathers plans and now here I was. I had no real purpose aside from watching the Malfoy boy.

He had been given the important task to prove himself to his 'all-powerful Dark Lord', but now I had to babysit him while he fixed the cabinet. A check-up every now and then would be enough to make my father happy.

Aside from that, I had free rein. I could do whatever I wanted here. Sleep with whoever I wanted, go to pointless common room parties and though I doubted I could kill anyone if it piqued my interest, it felt nice having this freedom without the Dark Lord breathing down my neck. 

The sorting went as expected, I had no doubt that I would end up in Slytherin, even if that stupid hat told me I was both smart and loyal. No way I was ending up being a fucking Hufflepuff. I think I would've killed myself. God knows if I didn't, my father would.

The scared looks most people gave me as I walked down the aisle was addictive. It made me lift my head even higher and my smile grow. Even the teachers looked nervous. I understood at times like these why my father craved it, the all consuming power that came with fear.

I didn't pay anyone around me any attention when I sat down. They probably weren't worth it. I could imagine what their opinions of me were like. Even after my father regained his body and began preparations for his take-over, most people refused to believe he was back. Attacks around the country and Dark Marks being cast in the sky still wasn't enough for the Ministry. It was only when Lucius Malfoy fucked up the task of collecting the prophecy and my father had to show his face, that people started using their brains. Merlin, I could almost feel bad for Potter and his little club if they weren't such inconveniences. 

Sitting down at the Slytherin table, I could feel hundreds of eyes on me, but a certain feeling made me look up. I locked eyes with the girl sitting further down from me. The other new student. Holt.

She was looking at me curiously, not in fear but in interest, like she was analysing me. Her eyes rested on mine for a few moments, but it felt like an age. 

She quickly looked away when she saw realised she had been caught, a light pink glow to her cheeks and focused eyes like she was trying to pretend she hadn't just been staring at me. 

I smirked as if I found it amusing she was looking at me but internally, the look she gave unnerved me, as if I was an open book. I got that feeling once more when the headmasters speech had finished but chose to ignore it, letting it leave as soon as it came.

...

I had a dorm to myself. No one really wanted to sleep in the same room as the Dark Lords son. I didn't mind it, I always liked being alone, even as a kid. It made me feel more safe than if I was in the presence of somebody else.

The next morning passed quickly, I thought about going to breakfast but decided I couldn't be bothered getting stared at like I was a zoo animal this hour of the morning. Besides, cigarettes for breakfast were more likely to calm the screaming urge to punch someone than tea.

My classes proved to be boring. The teachers droned on about things I already knew and people snuck glances at me whenever they could. It pissed me off enough that I told some 4th year to mind his fucking business. No one dared to try and talk to me, they just kept their judging eyes on me at all times, as though I was going to randomly turn around and kill someone at any moment.