Chapter 51 ~ Expendable

The wind seemed to howl constantly. It whipped through the school grounds, shaking trees and bushes, clearing them of their spring leaves. 

It should have been getting hotter but the grounds were still covered in frosts and the trees refused to colour their leaves anything other than the dreadful brown that stained everything around us. 

We had new professors at Hogwarts. Alecto and Amycus Carrow were the new wardens of the school. 

They smiled more than necessary, usually when punishing a student or teaching pureblood philosophy. 

I had recognised them. They had been on the tower that night. I knew that they recognised me too, but if they cared, they didn't show it. 

Muggle studies had become compulsory for students, even sixth and seventh years. They taught us the new directories and laws, about how muggles were beneath us, made to be ruled by the might of magic.

It disgusted me. 

I left each class feeling sick, making my way to the lavatories to empty my stomach before continuing to my next class. 

I had lost weight from not eating enough and not sleeping. I felt like a hollow shell of what I once was.

Even so, I was dumb enough to open my mouth when the Carrows had first arrived.

"Why should having a pure blooded line make you superior to someone with muggle blood? If they have the same magical abilities and power, are they not equal?" 

The under qualified professor was shorter than me and kept her hair in a tight bun, what I thought was an excellent physical expression of the stick she kept up her ass too.

Theo had shot me a panicked look, one that screamed 'stop talking'. 

Alecto Carrow had sneered at me. "But they are not. Their blood has been poisoned, dirtied by that of mud blood, creating abominations." She had tilted her head to the side, contemplating something. "What is your name?" 

I had sat taller in my seat. "Holt."

Her laugh hurt my ears. It was high pitched and mocking. "Miss Holt, here is a perfect example of today's lesson. A mudblood father and a pureblooded mother. She is... weaker than the rest of us, expendable."

I met her eyes, smiling slightly and gripping my wand beneath my desk. "Alecto- is it alright if I called you that?"

"Do not speak out of turn, mudblood-"

"How is it that you got stuck here teaching muggle studies to a class of sixth years?" I continued. "It seems like such a waste of pureblooded talent." She raised her wand at me.

"Unless that is, Voldemort saw you were weak?" A few people gasped at the name drop, but I didn't care.

"How dare yo-"

Theo was getting out of his seat next to me, moving to grasp my arm and stop me from saying any more. I shot him a glare and stood, moving out of his reach. 

"It makes sense, considering you're probably very slow, a result of inbreeding I suppose." Her lips moved and the tip of her wand flicked, but I was faster.

"Protego."

The curse bounced off my shield, hitting a book shelf on the other side of the room.

"Expelliarmus," she deflected my disarming spell.

Most students had ducked under tables, watching with wide eyes. I circled the desk slightly, wand still raised.