Chapter 46 ~ Stars

Pansy coughed as she breathed out a huge cloud of smoke. Her watering eyes made me laugh even harder. 

"Shut the fuck up Holt, my poor virgin lungs are not for your amusement," she cursed in between spluttering. 

I took the joint from her, grinning as I took a drag. It burn the back of my throat slightly but I ignored the sharp sting. "Most people agree coughing gets you even more high," I offered, trying to console her.

She rolled her eyes and waved me off as I held the slowly burning joint out to her. I happily pulled in more smoke, sitting it in my mouth before opening my lips and letting some drift out. Then I inhaled, sucking in the smoke from the air. 

My amusement was short-lived, unwanted thoughts clambering into my brain and bringing down my mood as soon as it starts to lift.

Pansy sat calmly in front of me, completely unaware of what tomorrow would bring. She tipped her head back against her bed and smiled at something I wasn't sure of. 

It had been her idea to get high after she saw me looking at my little box in consideration. I hadn't been planning on it, knowing it wouldn't help with my anxieties, but now here we sat. 

Pansy had never been one for smoking, always choosing alcohol over it, but she seemed pretty happy with the effects right now. 

"You're not gonna green out on me are you?" I asked with a giggle as she flopped her arm in the air, just to watch it fall back down. 

"Nah, I'll be fine."

Maybe tonight with this I could get some sleep. My thoughts kept me up at night, stopping me from drifting off. I had the feeling that Mattheo knew, but if he did he didn't say anything. Regardless, he still held me during the night, breathing softly against my neck. 

If I didn't fear for my life, I would tell everyone Mattheo Riddle was a big softy behind closed doors. 

My eyes closed shut as I ran over the plan for tomorrow once again even though it was already burned into my brain. 

Draco trusted me to take the others through the passageway behind the statue of Gregory the Smarmy, previously found by Fred and George Weasley. It lead down under the school grounds and came out at a small cliff side just beyond the edge of the forbidden forest. From there we would walk until we found the edge of the anti-apparation wards and apparate to muggle London.

The plan was solid, with little to go wrong. We would come back the next day, pretending to have snuck out for a night on the town. I had originally suggested that Draco just sent a patronus when it was over, until he quietly admitted that he couldn't conjure one. 

A silent sentence also floated in the air between us. Besides, who says I'll still be around to send one?

I shook my head, almost trying to throw the memory from my brain. A sharp pain at the end of my fingers made me flinch as I realised that the joint had burnt down to the end. 

"Well, that's us for the night," I concluded. 

Pansy pouted slightly but shrugged. 

"Hey, what if we went for a walk?" She suddenly mumbled. 

I glanced up at the clock, noting how late it was. Almost midnight. "How likely do you think we are to be caught by Filch?" 

Pansy grinned. "If he catches us, I'll just flash him." 

I burst out laughing, an unattractive snort coming from my nose. "What the fuck is that going to achieve?" I gasped between laughs. 

She tipped her head back on the bed again, laughing with me. "He'll practically be petrified. Hell, he might even have a heart attack, Squibs can get heart attacks, can't they?"